Chapter Seventy - Nine

He was looking at me wildly, his mask had gone. But even with the crazed look in his eyes, the gun never shook. Aleron's hand was steady, ready to pull the trigger and end my life.

The crowd cried out. Some screamed and others yelled, but most fled out to the sides.

No one left the room.

"You move and I'll fire this gun." He warned me again.

His voice was shaky and scared, but I knew it was all for show.

A man stepped out of the crowd, hands raised. With his flashy suit, I recognized him immediately.

The man removed his mask slowly, still keeping his hands raised. Luther was almost between us before he spoke, "General, what is the meaning of this?"

Aleron's eyes quickly shifted from me to him.

"Eleonora Tartal is a traitor to the crown. She has been conspiring with known criminals and planning to murder your high lord, me." His eyes were back on me.

"You've gone mad," I said with gritted teeth.

"General, these are serious accusations." Luther tried again, almost fully between us.

"I am serious, Luther, and unless you want to be tried together with her, I suggest you step away." Aleron dared. I saw his pistol shake towards Luther, but it remained on me.

Luther turned his head, but his eyes never fully settled on me before he retreated. They remained lowered.

"Tried?" I whispered low, furrowing.

Aleron seemingly heard me, as he began smiling with what could only have been satisfaction.

"The trial of Eleonora Tartal begins now."

The great doors to the ballroom opened and people dispersed immediately with loud howls.

I gasped at the sight but before I could move, two guards grabbed my arms, dragging me back towards the dais.

Djevel entered, dressed in the usual Mile man attire. His eyes found mine immediately and he grinned.

Following him closely behind were six others, also dressed in black, and between two of them, hung a weakened figure getting dragged across the floor. The figure had on a black coat dragging on the floor, black trousers, and shoes on limp legs.

Aleron strolled around me until he could be in front of Djevel, who only nodded his head as a formality.

"Thank you, your grace, for calling on us. I am in your debt for turning in the traitor." Djevel flashed his teeth toward me in a grin and I realized I wasn't the traitor he was talking about.

It was the way all of his men were panting and I noticed most of them were bleeding. One was holding his shredded arm, and another desperately tried to blink through his bruised eye. A third was as pale as snow and being supported by a fourth, who didn't look any better. They were all wounded.

The ones who could stand on their own, with what was left of their strength, were carrying the limp figure, whose head was dangling down.

"It is a Mile man's code to deal with their own," Djevel added and my eyes widened.

"No," I cried out.

"Silence," Aleron warned loudly, letting the gun hover over me for a moment.

Xander, it was my Xander, wounded. He wasn't bleeding or injured in any way and I quickly realized he had been the one to have done the injuring.