Chapter Thirty - Eight

"Selene," I exclaimed, noticing her chin was smudged with paint. My eyes darted to the back of the room, where a small bench stood with a thick mattress and some blankets placed on top.

"You sleep here?" I tried hiding my confusion but in vain. It was guilt that started creeping up on me.

"It's alright my lady. I am very grateful for the space lord Sarvin has given me." She assured sweetly as her eyes followed mine.

"I'm sorry," I said, the words had escaped me from the shock of finding her living in such a small space, sleeping on wood, when my bed was double the size and stacked soft.

Granted at home I used to sleep like her, on hardwood, but it felt wrong for me to sleep so softly knowing the wood was hurting her back at night.

"Don't apologize." She chuckled with a soft smile.

"You made all these?" I asked with admiration as I began noticing the many canvases around me, all had beautiful depictions of nature or houses on them. All unfinished.

"Ahh yes, when I have free time I paint but they aren't very good. I can never finish them."

I took a closer step toward a canvas leaning against a stool. It was only half done, but I could see the vision.

A forest path surrounded by green luscious trees. Their crowns dapped with many hues of green.

"It's so detailed. Selene, these are beautiful. You underestimate yourself." I meant every word, her paintings were very well done.

"Do you paint people too?" I had a person in mind, but I was a little uneasy asking her for a favour.

"I haven't tried yet, my lady."

I began passing around her room noticing all her different paintings. She was right when she said she had never finished a single one.

"Where did you learn to paint so delicately?"

"My mother," she responded, her tone making me turn toward her. She had a pain in her voice that I recognized.

I gave her a soft smile. "I guess we both know about heartbreak."

"Where's your father?" I dared pry.

"Gone." She sighed and walked to one of the canvases stacked at the back of her room. Turning it, it was a picture of ruins, fire, and smoke. Again not finished.

"I lost them during the revolt years after the king..." She trailed off as if remembering she was talking about my father.

"I remember them rushing me towards the capital gates. We almost made it when the shooting started and we huddled in a nearby house. The building collapsed and I was found in their arms, unhurt. I remember their sleeping faces when the guards dragged me away. I never saw them again."

I knew my eyes were full of pity because she quickly continued, "Lord Sarvin was giving refuge to people when he heard about me, from the guards. He assured me I would be safe here and I never left."

I admired her strength. Whenever I saw her she made everything genuine with her smiles and joyful energy. I would have never guessed she was hiding such painful memories.

"I think they would have been very proud of who you grew up to be," I said, feeling my eyes tear up.

"Thank you, my lady." She almost bowed.

We talked for another hour about her paintings and her life at the mansion before I retreated to my room. It had been a long exhausting day with Sarvin's teaching and dinner with Mayra but somehow my mood had become better as I left Selene's room.