Chapter Five

"Could you look any more sombre?" Lau laughed and poked me in the ribs.

I forced a smile and a small chuckle. Sadness was becoming me.

"I told Claudene I wouldn't marry her unless she gave my father three horses and his priced pistol. She almost looked like she was willing to make it happen." He splashed water on his face, the drops dripping from his chiselled jaw.

"Well if that's the case you should ask for more." I joked and cupped my hands for some water.

Lau snorted and wiped his cheeks.

"What?" I laughed wiping my throat. Watching his dimples appear. "Don't pretend you are not the most eligible bachelor in this hellhole. She would give you the moon if you asked."

"And what would you give me?" His eyes lingered, and his usual grin faded.

"I have nothing to offer you," I replied. I knew my eyes were lying.

"You know that's not true," he said and reached for my hand.

I removed it before he touched me. "I already gave you my heart."

"I'm giving you mine," he took my hand properly and I looked up into his longing eyes. How I could drown in them if I let myself.

"They will never give me up. Rockwell owns me." My lips curled into a pitiful smile as I cupped his cheeks, pulling him closer. As our lips touched, I felt a surge of energy pulsate through my body. Without him, I would probably wither and die. His touch, his love, just a second of it every day made it possible to breathe.

"These moments are all I own." I cherished his face and ran my fingers down his cheek. I wanted to remember his face forever. The one dimple that only seemed to show itself around me. The glimmer of his dark eyes. His uneven cupid's bow and wide nose. My first love.

"We could run." His breath tickled my lips as he leaned in for a teasing kiss.

"I won't do that to you. We will have nothing. We'll die out there." A tear fell down my cheek.

Lau pushed himself away in anger. His fist connected with the wooden wall of the bathhouse. He turned, exhaustingly leaning against the panels, letting his head fall back. "I can't watch, Elora. I can't just watch them turn you into an obedient housewife. It will kill me."

"That won't happen," I said, wiping my tears away, standing firm. I would take my own life before letting Lau's words become true.

Then I became too shameful, because of my thoughts, unable to meet his eyes. He clenched his jaw and I dropped my head. I wanted to fall apart, to tell him I would love to run away with him. I wanted to get lost in his arms every night. But I couldn't be that selfish. He would die for me, but this way he wouldn't have to.

His warm hand grabbed my chin, lifting my eyes to his. "Gods be cursed I will never stop loving you, Elora." His lips met mine before I pulled back, stroking his curly hair. He pulled me in again and kissed my neck, dropping his hands to my shoulders, and gently pulling down my dress. I wrapped my naked chest around his head.

While he kissed my body I found his ear, "I'll love you forever my sweet Lau." I whispered.

Those last words haunted me as I woke at dawn. Lau, my first love and my last. I would remember him till the last day I would breathe.

He hates you now.

No.

I shook my head as a tear raced down my cheek. I wiped it with my sleeve. The last words I had spoken to him were of hate, but I hoped so desperately he didn't hate me. Forget me, yes. Hate me, it would break the last of my strength.