Chapter Ten

The wind was taking ease and the fog seemed too clear. The only sound creeping was the breath of two of the most dangerous men in all the territories, aiming their guns at each other's heads. Both hoping for a standoff, but not of the deadly kind. I still had my face in the sand. I didn't dare look up.

"It's been a while, Xander."

"Not long enough, Djevel." Their voices were on the same frequency. Low, cold, and inviting for either to make the first move.

"The council hasn't heard from you for months. After exchanging her they commanded me to start hunting you." A threat or a promise.

"Seems like you failed at both." Xander sneered, his voice becoming unstable for a second but he quickly regained his focus.

"I knew I should have killed you back at the mountain. Those eyes should have been my first warning that you were more cold-blooded than the rest of us. Your mother would have been proud."

"Don't speak of my mother," Xander's voice became unsteady but again, it quickly shifted back. His rage wanted to break through.

Djevel snorted slightly no doubt at the reaction he was able to command. Then I felt his eyes on me. "Seems like you let me take all the women out of your life."

"Careful," Xander cut off. "Collect some other bounty Djevel, I'm taking her."

I lay frozen on the ground, hoping the blood pooling from my arm would convince them I was dead, but I was struggling to almost not breathe. My heart was betraying me, pumping rapidly in my chest wanting my lungs to gasp for air.

"For what bargain?" Djevel spoke again,  "I'm sure whoever hired you insisted you bring her back alive." He holstered his weapon, the end of his coat whipping back. He thought I was dead.

"But you can have her. Once I ride for the council I'll be coming for you, and trust me, the torture I will bestow on you will make up for the stone you've cost me today." He added smirking before his boots backed away, "I'll see you around boy." And then he was gone.

The air flowing into my lungs seemed to enter a little easier until I felt Xander's hand on my throat. Feeling for my pulse he quickly flipped me on my back, ripping my sleeve slightly surveying the bullet wound.

"Keep your eyes closed," he whispered low. I almost opened them in shock that he knew I was awake.

He grabbed my other arm, his fingers inches away from the burn, unbeknown to him as he pulled me into his arms. I grunted slightly from pain but did as he said.

Keeping my eyes closed, he carried me until a familiar smell of hay and fur hit me.

He smelled so much like gunpowder, it almost stung my nostrils. He lowered my legs and I placed a hand on his chest to steady myself against him. Under my palm I could feel his heart, pumping slowly. They did have one.

I felt dizzy and frightened as I looked up. His eyes were distant, and his throat showed the marks I had left. I lifted myself from his grip, backing up with a few steps, trying desperately to not collapse.

"Don't." His voice was hoarse and pitiful. "Get on."

A slight nod to the horse had my heart in my throat. He didn't show anger or any other emotion for that matter, but I had seen enough of him to know he could hide it or even suppress it.

I inhaled like my life depended on it and stumbled to the horse, grabbing for the saddle, knowing full well there was no way I could carry my weight onto it. I made ready for my arms to fail me. He merely watched what I thought would be a failed attempt, but something inside me gathered enough strength to pull myself up until I sat steady but fragile, holding the reins.