Chapter Sixty - Six

"I'm not hiding. I'm doing the chores your mother commanded." I turned away, annoyed at Carson's presence at the gate, trying to ignore him as I continued throwing the clothes over the wire.

A brunette like his father, he more so resembled his mother. With a weak jawline, uneven teeth, and a nauseating smile. He dressed like he was a nobleman, with white blouses, leather vests, and dark trousers. His boots were also leather and black. I suspected if it wasn't for his mother's input, he would be dressing like a homeless drunk.

"Don't be like that, or I'll tell mother," he sulked.

"Tell her then, you weasel." I dared, giving him a short glare.

I feared that he did but knew he wouldn't. He never really told on me, only because his father would ridicule him if he did.

'Bullied by a girl, how small is your manhood?' That's what his father would say.

"Weasel? Don't make me punish you." Carson said daringly and leaned against the gate, crossing his arms.

I scoffed, "Try it and I'll rebreak that nose."

He frowned as if remembering, touching his narrow nose.

"You know a husband is allowed to punish his wife however he sees fit." He said again, his tone disgusting. I knew what he was thinking.

I stopped, and looked up, swallowing my breath. How tempting it was to jump him, stomping on that thick head until he screamed for his mommy. But I dulled my instincts and turned to him.

"Carson, I will never be your wife. I would rather marry one of the bar's regulars than share the same last name as you."

"You insult me, don't do that." He said with the voice of a child. "It's a shame Lau is not here. Haven't seen you too together for days now. Has your special friendship finally died?"

"Don't you have somewhere else to be?"

"Not really," he snickered.

"Leave me alone Carson, or I'll tell your father." I sensed he stiffened but still, he didn't stray away.

"Sad to hear about your father." He quickly changed the subject.

The air sucked right out of my lungs and ice roared through my veins.

"What?" I stuttered, turning so slowly.

"His accident in Ledina," he mocked arrogantly. He was pleased to tell me such devastating news himself.

"You're lying," I breathed, trying to calm myself.

"Wait for his coffin. It should arrive tomorrow morning. You can go see him for yourself, but I warn you, the hoof marks on his face are rumoured to be a dreadful vision."

I felt my knees weaken. He was lying. That rat was known for it. How could he know anyway? My father left yesterday, there was no way...

"Oh and the smell..." He grimaced, "...he must have downed an entire bottle of Bourbon." He laughed, actually laughed.

"You fucking liar," I screamed, throwing the trousers in my hand, at him.

He flinched, and I stormed past him.

My father didn't drink bourbon, only rye whiskey. He never liked bourbon. Carson was lying and I would travel to Ledina myself and see.

His arms wrapped around me from behind before I could even reach the gate.