Chapter 10- for the sake of a daughter

Some of Nio's friends were coming today. He told me to 'stay away' from them. Right now I was sitting in my room.

I thought about all the times me and Nio were used to prank papa and Lucy- of course she was used to be a less of a bitch back then. Lucy would often pretend to be mad but then she would laugh with all of us. One time I put a fake snake on her bed, under her blankets knowing she was terrified of them. I remember her screaming so loudly and then she hid behind papa. After she found out I did it, she told me to go to my room for one hour where she hid a fake eight-legged crawling creature- Aka- spider. Let me tell you this, those creatures are terrifying.

Whenever I remembered those moments, I wish she would go back to her normal self or that she never started drinking. Maybe I could've supported her after gramps' death. Maybe then she wouldn't have gone towards alcohol for support. I sighed knowing this was useless. I remember papa telling me that we have a music room which is sound proof. Maybe I can get some of my frustration out by going there.

I walked out of my room and looked around trying to find the music room. After looking at the ground and first floor, I decided to go to the basement. There I found a gym, art room and a music room. I walked into the room, locked the door and saw a guitar. It was a beautiful wooden guitar with 'Jones' carved in a cursive writing around the side of it. I touched it lightly like it was something that can break easily. Then I gathered all my emotions and started singing. 

(I have changed some of the lyrics of the song 'for the love of a daughter' to make it fit the story. The original song is at the start of the chapter. You can listen to it now.)

Ten years old
With my back to the door
All I could hear was the family war

Your selfish hands
Always expecting more
Am I your child?
Or just a charity award?

You have a hollowed our heart
And it's heavy in your chest
Yah, I tried so hard to fight it
But it's hopeless, hopeless
You're hopeless

Oh, mother
Please, mother
I'd love to leave you alone
But I can't let him go

Oh, mother
Please, mother
Put the bottle down
For the sake of a daughter

It's been 7 years
Since we've spoken last
And you can't take back
What your actions said

Oh, I can be manipulated
Only so many times
Before even "I love you"
Starts to sound like a lie

You have a hollowed out heart
But it's heavy in your chest
I tried so hard to fight it
But it's hopeless, hopeless
You're hopeless

Oh, mother
Please, mother
I'd love to leave you alone
But I can't let him go

Oh, mother
Please, mother
Put the bottle down
For the sake of a daughter

Don't you remember, I'm your baby girl?
How could you push me right out of your world
Lied to your flesh and your blood
Put your hands on the ones
That you swore you loved

Don't you remember, I'm your baby girl?
How could you throw me right out of your world?
So young when the pain had begun
Now forever afraid of being loved

Oh, mother
Please, mother
I'd love to leave you alone
But I can't let him go

Oh, mother
Please, mother

Oh, mother
Please, mother
Put the bottle down
For the sake of a daughter

I finished singing with tears flowing freely through my eyes and down my cheeks. I kept sobbing for what felt like hours before collecting myself. I wasn't just sad, I was angry and frustrated with Lucy, with Nio and with my life. With me always having to fight my emotions. With always crying and being so weak. I needed to be strong. I know Nio was really distant to me but I still had papa and Mark and Matt. They love me so much and if I break it will hurt them so much. I can't let the only people who care for me get hurt.

I went to the bathroom that was in the basement to clean myself up. Once I cleaned my face enough to look like I wasn't just sobbing minutes ago, I went upstairs hoping that none of Nio's friends would see me but of course my life doesn't ever listen to me.

As soon as I stepped on the last stair up the basement, I saw a boy with hazel eyes and dark hair. He looked familiar for some reason. 

"Caleb where the-" Nio walked into the hallway and stopped as soon as he saw me. 

"Adrianna. I told you to stay away. What the fuck do you think are you doing here?" I flinched at the harshness in his voice and I think he noticed because of the slight confusion that I saw on his face. I looked towards Caleb and realized the reason for the familiarity I felt.

"Caleb Lee?" I asked quietly

"Anna?" He asked and as soon as I nodded he came up to me and hugged me tightly.

"Anna. How were you? I was so worried. I am so happy to see you back" he said softly.

"I missed you too Caley. I'm so happy to see you again" I pulled back from Caleb when I heard someone clearing their throat.

"Go to your room Adrianna" Nio said angrily.

"Anna" I said quietly and continued when I saw him making a weird face "can you please call me Anna" if someone calls me Adrianna it reminds me of Lucy and I really don't need that. When papa calls me that it feels natural since he always called me that. I know Nio won't call me Ria even if I told him to do so.

I was going to walk towards my room when Caleb stopped me. 

"Anna, Can I exchange numbers with you so that we can talk later?" He asked pointing towards his phone. 

"Sure" I replied before we exchanged numbers and I left to my room.

Caleb, me and Nio were always used to be together when we were little. It was our little trio.
Caleb is an always soft spoken, calm, never angry kind of guy. He always has a gentle smiles on his face and never refuses if someone asks for his help. 

In our trio, it was always Nio who was the strong one, Caleb was nice and gentle one and I was the baby of the group.

I wish things could go back to how they were....