Chapter 4

Grace

              Work the next day was a circle of taking care of patients and obsessing over my thoughts. Pass some pills. But he’s a werewolf! Talk to a doctor. But he’s so freaking hot. Start an IV. This is a terrible idea. Discharge a patient. Note to self: wear that red lacy underwear with a matching bra. When I sat down to lunch, looking forward to some uninterrupted obsessing, I noticed a new text from Owen.

Owen: We still on for tonight?

I couldn’t help it, I had to tease him.

Me: Who is this?

Owen: Really? How many people are asking about your plans for tonight?

Me: I’ve had a few good offers, just trying to decide which one to take.

I giggled to myself and not three seconds later my phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Who else is trying to take you on a date tonight?” I giggled again. He sounded irritated so I let the joke go.

“No one, I was just giving you a hard time. I’m looking forward to seeing you.” He let out a breath and laughed.

“I’m looking forward to it as well. Can I pick you up at 6?”

“Sure. Bye Owen.”

“Bye Grace.”

God, I love the way he says my name. Ugh I’m crazy. He says my name like everyone else. Well, no he doesn’t. He says it with that deep voice and sexy inflection like he would say it the same if his dick was inside me right now. Oh my God. Get your mind out of the gutter, woman!

After work I showered, shaved every inch of skin I could reach, moisturized the shit out of myself and put on a black wrap dress over my matching red lace bra and underwear set and completed the look with some strappy black heels. I looked myself over in the mirror.

Damn girl. You fine.

Before my inner monologue could compliment me further, the buzz of the door alerted me that my fine specimen of a date had arrived. I put on my coat and met him at the front door.

“Hello, beautiful.” Ooh isn’t he just the charmer.

“You look pretty handsome yourself.” And he did. He was wearing a black button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and grey dress pants, but no coat.

“Aren’t you cold?”

“Nah, I tend to run warm.” He winked at me. Duh, Grace. He’s a freaking werewolf.

“Oh yeah. That makes sense.”

I giggled as I slid in to the passenger side of his truck as he held the door for me. We chatted on the drive to the restaurant. I kept glancing at his profile, wondering why a man as gorgeous as him had any interest in me. A couple of times I caught him looking at me. Once he seemed particularly interested in my thigh where my dress rode up a little from me sitting with my legs crossed. We pulled up to the restaurant about 20 minutes later.

“I hope you like Italian.”

“I love it. But no steakhouse?” He laughed and God did I love the sound of that.

“Maybe next time.”

Next time? He’s already planning for a next time?

I couldn’t decide if that was arrogantly annoying or vulnerably adorable. He opened the door for me and ushered me inside with his hand at the small of my back. Even through my coat and dress I could feel the electricity of his touch course through me. Once we arrived at our table I took off my coat and his gaze instantly traveled my body. His eyes met mine and his pupils had nearly turned black. He shook his head slightly and looked back at me, his eyes back to that beautiful blue/green I was already becoming attached to.

“You look gorgeous tonight, Grace.”

“If you like this dress you’d really like what’s underneath it.” I whispered to him.

Jesus Christ what’s the matter with me!?

“Don’t tempt me, love.” He whispered back.

My cheeks flushed as his eyes turned black again. Next time? Oh yes, there will definitely be a next time.