Chapter 10

Owen

Grace was able to take three weeks off from work, which was more than I asked for. That gave me some hope that she was really going to try and make this work. My little mate was strong and kind, but I still worried how some members of my pack would receive her. If anything happened to her because I couldn’t control my pack, I would never forgive myself. I was pulled from my thoughts by my phone ringing. Liam’s name popped up on my screen. I wasn’t sure what my brother was calling me for, but it probably wasn’t good.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Owen. We need you to come back.”

“Why, what’s going on?”

“There was an attack on the pack. Something tried to get into the city and attack a couple of kids at the park.”

“Shit. Any idea what it was?”

“Based on the scent, we’re thinking vamps.” Fucking bloodsuckers.

“Ok, I’ll be home tomorrow. And Liam… I’m bringing my mate.”

“Really? Are you sure that’s a good idea? Tensions are kind of high right now, brother. And she’s a witch. I know you said she’s different, but still.”

“I know, Liam. But she’s willing to give this a chance so I have to try. I want you to gather the pack for a meeting when I get home tomorrow with Grace. I’ll introduce her, explain that she’s not a normal witch and then we can have a barbecue to celebrate.”

My next phone call I wasn’t really looking forward to. I took a deep breath and dialed Grace’s number. She answered on the second ring.

“Hey, Owen!” She sounded so excited to hear from me. Hearing her voice helped to calm me after my tense discussion with Liam.

“Hey, love. I have some news. There was an attempted attack on my pack, and I need to go home sooner than I thought. I’m leaving tomorrow and I was hoping you’d come with me.” She was silent for a moment and I held my breath until she responded.

“I guess it’s good I took that extra time off. Just tell me when and I’ll be ready.” I exhaled and chuckled a little.

“You have no idea how much this means to me, Grace.”

The next day I was at Grace’s apartment helping her load her things into my truck.

“That trunk is the last of my stuff.” And she pointed to a large wooden chest with an old lock on the front.

“What’s in there?”

“My witch things.”

“Your witch things?”

“Crystals, spell books, potion making supplies. Figured it might be nice to have if people are going to be attacking us.” I gave her an incredulous look. I couldn’t say I disagreed with her. After we had been on the road about fifteen minutes, I decided I had better come clean about a couple of other things.

“Listen, I have something I need to tell you.”

“Oh God.” She looked at me with worried eyes. “Please don’t tell me you’re gay.” I laughed. I love how she can diffuse tension so easily.

“No, definitely not. But I need to explain about my position in the pack. I’m actually the Alpha.” I glanced at her a few times while trying to keep my eyes on the road to gauge her reaction. Her brow furrowed in confusion.

“What does that mean?” Oh, my sweet, clueless mate. You’re perfect.

“It means I’m the leader of my pack. I make all of the decisions. And my brother Liam is my Beta. He is second in command.” She looked down at her hands while she processed this information.

“So, like, you’re the president and he’s the vice president?”

“Yes, exactly.”

“So… if I stay long term that would make me the first lady?” She smiled and seemed excited by this idea.

“Yeah, I guess it would…”

“I’m gonna make Jackie O. proud, baby.” She grinned at me and her eyes twinkled. I reached across the center console and ran the back of my knuckles down her cheek. She leaned into my touch and turned to kiss my hand. I couldn’t have asked for a better mate.

Once we arrived at the pack, we headed towards the auditorium we used for large pack gatherings. I had explained to Grace that I was going to introduce her to the pack and explain her philosophy on being a witch. I held her hand as we walked to the front and I could tell she was nervous. When we stopped, I wrapped my arm around her waist, pulling her close to me and tried to ease her nerves.

“Hello everyone. As you might have heard, on my recent trip to Seattle I was lucky enough to meet my mate. You may have also heard some other things about her, so I am going to be as upfront and honest as possible with you all. Her name is Grace. And she is a witch.” I heard some grumbles throughout the crowd. I looked down at Grace and there was concern etched all over her beautiful face. The crowd wasn’t quieting quickly enough so I used my Alpha voice.

“Quiet! I need everyone to listen to me and listen to me well. Grace is not a normal witch. She doesn’t belong to a coven and rarely practices her magic. It was a risk for her to come here, but she took it anyway because she cares for me. I need you all to give her a chance and respect the fact that this woman was made for me. We deserve the opportunity to make this work. Now, in celebration of finding my mate, we have organized a barbecue for this evening. Bring your families and let’s spend some time together. You’re all free to go.” I pulled Grace from the room to the back of the auditorium so we could have some privacy. I tugged her into a tight hug and kissed her head, breathing in her scent to calm myself.

“I don’t think that went very well.” She looked up at me with wide, concerned eyes and my heart constricted.

“Don’t worry, love. Once they get to know you, they’ll like you just as much as I do.” I bent my head to catch her lips with mine.  She snaked her hands into my hair and pulled me closer to her, opening her mouth and moaning slightly. I pulled away to trail kisses along her jaw and neck, then sucked on the sensitive spot right behind her ear.

“Owen…” She moaned into my ear. I chuckled a little and smiled into the kisses.

“What, love?” I continued my assault down her neck and onto her chest.

“If you’re not going to take me against this wall you need to stop because I’m running out of self-restraint.” I laughed at this and let her go. I looked down at her puffy lips and chest heaving with heavy breaths and sent a silent plea to the universe that she would pick me so I could finally lose myself in this wonderful woman. I kissed her temple and pulled her close again.

“I can’t help myself, Grace. You’re perfect.” The smile she gave me warmed me from the inside out. I took her hand in mine and threaded our fingers together, then pulled her away to show her what I hoped would be her new home.