Chapter 20

Owen

I was a little nervous to have Grace attempt to mark me. I wasn’t sure she would be able to tell where to put the mark. We must trust our mate my wolf cut into my thoughts; she’ll know what to do. She pushed me down onto a stool and started kissing along my neck like I had done to her.

“Try to find the soft patch of flesh just on my shoulder, love.” I pointed it out to her.

“I know, Owen. I don’t know how, but somehow I know.” I smiled at her stubbornness and allowed her to continue her assault. A few seconds later, I felt her teeth clamp down on my skin. She pulled away quickly, but I didn’t feel anything. I looked at my shoulder and there was no blood.

“You’re going to have to bite harder than that, sweetheart.” I chuckled a little and her face became a sweet shade of red.

“I don’t want to hurt you.” I patted her hand, trying to hold back my laugh.

“You won’t hurt me.” She nodded and found the spot again. She bit down much harder this time and I felt her teeth sink into my skin. It hurt for only a moment before warmth spread throughout my body and I knew she had been successful.

I love you, Grace. I sent her first mind link and she gasped.

“Oh my gosh was that you!?” I laughed a little and pulled her into my lap.

“Yes, try to say something back.” She got an intense look on her face and before long I heard clear as a bell.

I love you too, Owen. I smiled and caught her lips for a sweet kiss.

“I have to go discuss the battle with the rest of the pack. We’re attacking in a couple of days. Would you like to come with me?”

“Say it in the mind link!” She gave my shoulder a playful smack and I chuckled as I nuzzled her neck. I repeated myself in the mind link and she responded Yes.

As we were walking down the steps of the pack house hand in hand, a loud screeching sound started reverberating through the whole town. It was deafening to my heightened senses and I had to cover my ears. I looked around frantically trying to figure out where the sound was coming from. As if Grace could read my mind, she called out over the sound.

“The crystals! Something tried to get into the town!”

“Can you turn them off? I need to talk to our patrols.” She waved her hands and the sounds stopped. I mind linked every wolf on patrol to see if they had found anything.

Something got knocked back at the northern part of the town. One of my best patrollers, Jack responded.

Track it and bring it back alive if possible. I’m sure your future Luna would like another chance at interrogation. I heard Jack’s chuckle through the mind link.

I think we’d all like to see that, Alpha. I’m happy to hear you refer to her as future Luna now rather than your mate. It was my turn to chuckle.

Trust me, Jack. So am I. Alert me right away when you find the thing. Take as many patrollers as you can find.

Yes, Alpha. I mind linked Grace since she seemed to be enjoying the new ability.

Our patrollers are looking for whatever tried to get in. I told them to bring it back so you could blow off its private parts. She laughed and pulled me in for a hug. I didn’t realize I needed the comfort until I felt the waves of calm crash over me. She sighed like she needed the connection as well.

“I’ll be so glad when this attack is over, and we can have at least a little down time so I can meet the pack properly and settle in.”

“Me too, love. Me too.” We were too anxious to go back inside and we postponed the meeting until we figured out what had tried to attack us. We headed into the center of town and many pack members came out to thank Grace for the protective shield she had put around us. It made my heart swell to see how well she interacted with our pack and how much they had grown to like her. We were about to head back to the pack house when Jack mind linked me.

Alpha, we found the intruder. Definitely a vampire.

Good work. Bring him to the dungeons.

“The intruder was a vampire. I told Jack to take him to the dungeons.” Grace got a sour look on her face.

“Why don’t I interrogate him in the woods. I don’t want anyone to have to clean up the mess in the dungeons.” I laughed and told Jack the new plan. Three of my patrollers brought the bloodsucker to the edge of the forest and Grace froze him before they let go of him. Much like last time, she unfroze his head.

“Why did you attempt to enter our town?” She didn’t wait this time; she blew off one of his ears and he screamed out in pain.

“What the fuck was that for?” Grace narrowed her eyes and her hands balled into fists.

“Answer my questions or that will be your dick next. Trust me, I’ve done it before.” I couldn’t contain the chuckle that escaped me, and the vampire gave me a deathly look.

“She’s not lying. She’s done it before.” The rest of my patrollers nodded their heads looking grave. A few flinched at the memory.

“I didn’t mean to come upon a werewolf town. I was fleeing a coven. They all have a fucking death wish to kill every werewolf in existence. Once I figured out the plan, I ran.” Grace looked at me as we pondered this.

“How many vampires do they have?” I inquired.

“Over one hundred at least. They are preparing to attack. They will be here any day now.” I saw the shock and concern splay across Grace’s beautiful face. She froze his head again.

“Do you want to ask him anything else? I feel bad blowing off more of his parts. I don’t get the feeling he knows much more.” I shook my head no.

“Jack, please dispose of the vamp. We need to head into town to meet with the rest of the warriors and finalize the plan. We attack tomorrow.”