Chapter 35

Owen

I watch as Grace's rigid body relaxes. My arms tighten around her as she melds into me. I breathe in her scent, tainted with the dark magic her body was flooded with. The scent begins to clear and her eyes open. Eyes that were once flooded with black smoke are now clear and beautiful as they always are. My hand skims down her body, settling on her stomach. My mind still reeling from her revelation as well as what just happened with her mother. I take a few deep breaths, my eyes caught by Gavin running across the pack towards Liam. Gavin helps Liam to stand and Liam pulls him in for a firm hug.

"You alright?" I call across the field.

"Yeah." Liam answers, his eyes skimming the new tree warily.

"What the fuck did you do, love?" I ask, my voice full of awe and concern as I look up at the tall tree, standing proud and full of foliage.

"I trapped her inside. She can see out, see the whole pack, but she can't move. She's frozen and will be for all of eternity. She will watch as our pups grow, generations of our children ruling this pack. The immortality she once craved above all else will now be her curse." She says quietly, her eyes tracing the tree. I am in awe of her power, but hope to never see it again.

"Will the baby be ok? With the magic you used?" I ask, my gaze searching out hers. She nods and steps towards me, wrapping her arms around me.

"The baby will be fine. I would never put him in danger." She says quietly and I pull her away to look at her.

"Him?" I ask and a warm smile spreads on her face.

"I'm just assuming." She says with a shrug. "Aren't Alpha's firstborns usually boys?" She asks and I chuckle a little, pulling her back into me.

"Usually, yes. But nothing about us has been the usual." I say, my voice full of teasing humor. She laughs a little, nuzzling her face against my chest.

"You're right about that." She murmurs and pulls away as Gavin and Liam approach us.

"That was fucking crazy." Liam says, still eyeing that tree like he expects it to come to life at any moment.

"Yeah it was. Please tell me shit like that doesn't happen all the time." Gavin says, tucking himself into Liam's side and clinging to his shirt.

"It doesn't." Grace says with a chuckle. "What was the deal with the bucket of water?" She asks Gavin and he shrugs.

"I got it to put out the fire, but Owen had it under control so I chucked it at the crazy bitch instead. I was hoping she'd melt." He says with a smirk and Grace breaks out into laughter. Liam and I don't get the joke, so we stay quiet, holding our mates close, grateful that they are alright.

"So you're pregnant, Grace?" Liam asks with a warm smile and she nods.

"I am." She confirms and both men encircle her in a hug.

"You'll make the best mom." Gavin says and Grace gasps, pulling away from them and taking off down the sidewalk at a break neck pace. Liam and Gavin look at me confused, but I just shrug and hurry to catch up to Grace.

"Where are you going, love?" I ask her as she climbs the stairs for the packhouse.

"To find my sister." She says with firm resolve and my body goes stock still.

"How are you going to do that?" I ask as she grabs her witch box.

"A summoning spell. Blood to blood." She says, grabbing herbs from the box. I put my hands on hers to stop her frantic movements and grip her chin, asking her to look at me. Her eyes meet mine and I can see how desperate she is for this to work.