Chapter 26

Grace

I woke up to a gentle swaying motion, my body still loose with sleep. I tried to burrow deeper into the warmth and comfort encompassing my body, until all of the memories from the last few days came rushing back to me. I sat up quickly, my body tensing with nerves.

"Shhh... relax, love. I've got you." Owen's soothing voice swirled through my mind like smoke, making my muscles and mind relax.

"Where are we?" I ask sleepily, a loud yawn rushing through me no matter how much I try to keep it in. Owen chuckles, the vibrations moving through me making my body more alert.

"Home." He says quietly. I force my eyes open to see our front door, Liam opening it as Owen carries me inside. I gasp in surprise and look around me, the morning has barely begun, only the first few rays of the sun's light peeking through the trees.

"How'd we get here so fast?" I ask incredulously as Owen carries me up the stairs to our room.

"You've been asleep for hours, love." He looks down at me a little sadly. "You needed it." He says, sitting me gently on the bed.

"What I need is a shower." I say firmly, my nose crinkling in disgust. Owen's boisterous laughter soothes some of my worn out nerves as he shakes his head and peels his bloodied, torn shirt from his body.

"We both do. How about we conserve water and do it together?" He asks with a coy smirk. I chuckle before my eyes take in his form, I have to bite my bottom lip to keep myself from groaning at how delicious he looks.

He strips the rest of the way then goes in to turn on the water. He helps me undress, but when I go to stand my legs buckle under me and I whimper at the pain.

"I'll help you, love. You might be sore for a few days." He says quietly, obvious guilt etched all over his face. I cup his cheeks in my hands, trying to push as much love through our bond as I can. I pull his face to mine, planting my lips firmly on his, relishing in the touch of my mate.

"Thank you." I respond, holding my arms out for him to lift me. He presses a sweet kiss to the top of my hair, not paying any mind to the dirt, oil and blood dried in it.

"You never have to thank me. You saved my life. You were a fucking bad ass, by the way. The warriors were talking about it the whole way back. It was like something out of a movie. Those vamps didn't stand a chance. I'm so proud of you." He says fervently and I don't miss the warm pride on his face. I feel my heart growing impossibly larger for this man.

"I would have killed thousands of them to get to you." I say firmly and he gives me a wide smile before setting me on the bench in the shower.

"I'll do my best to make sure you never have to take another life." He says passionately before soaping up a cloth to help me rinse off.

He takes his time making sure I'm clean, spending extra effort to massage my tired muscles. I groan in both pain and ecstasy, my body finally loosening under his expert hands. I watch as he washes himself, my body wanting nothing more than to be pressed against him, skin to skin, like I need the proof that he is alive and safe.

"Are you hungry?" He asks and I shake my head, holding my arms out for him to carry me and whining until he laughs and complies. He tucks me into bed and kisses me gently, just a quick peck, not nearly enough to satiate my need. He puts on some shorts and I can't stop my pout.

"Where are you going?" I ask, a slight annoyed edge to my voice. He chuckles and shakes his head at me in gentle admonishment.

"Just to get something to eat. I'm starving, love. I'll bring something for you, too. I don't believe that you're not hungry." He says before kissing me again. I sigh and burrow down into the warm blankets, trying to force myself to stay awake. I could perform a healing charm on myself, but using magic to help myself is the fastest way for it to consume me, to let the darkness take over. I'm not willing to let that happen, I have too much to live for, too much love in my life.

Owen is back quickly with plates of food and snacks. My stomach growls loudly and Owen gives me a knowing look, but doesn't say anything which I appreciate. I eat quickly until Owen seems satisfied with how much I've eaten. He cleans up while I relax in bed, grateful to feel safe and content for the first time in days. Just as I am about to slip back into sleep, I feel the bed dip behind me and Owen's warm body presses itself against me. I sigh in content at how good he feels, rolling over to tuck myself into his chest, his chin resting on the top of my head as our arms go around each other. He clings to me like a man starved for affection.

"When those dirty vamps held me hostage, I wasn't scared of the pain or of dying. I was scared I would never get to see you again. Fucking terrified actually. See your smile, hear your laugh, joke with you, wake up to you. Of all the things we wouldn't get to experience together, the life we should have lived together. I'll never take a moment with you for granted. I love you so much, Grace." He murmurs in my ear and I try to hold off the tears that are filling my eyes from falling.

"I love you, too. But don't ever go and get captured again or I'll kill you myself." I say firmly and Owen barks out a laugh.

"What was that explosion during the fight? It was the last thing I saw before those vamps dosed me with wolfsbane." He asks.

"It was a hex. Those vampires had witches helping them." I say bitterly, disgusted any witch would help such foul creatures.

"Why in the hell would witches help vampires?" Owen asks incredulously and I shrug.

"Maybe they wanted to help them rid the world of wolves. Maybe the payment was high enough. Witches would do just about anything for the right price." I say and Owen huffs in annoyance.

"You think we should be worried?" He asks and I shake my head.

"I doubt it. They would have secured payment before providing protection. I'm sure they're not heartbroken that their customers are dead." I say with a little yawn. Owen hums in agreement, nuzzling his cheek against the top of my head.

I tighten my arms around him, reaching my hand down to squeeze one of his butt cheeks. He chuckles in my ear but shakes his head.

"You need rest, love. And honestly so do I." He says and I look up at him with my best puppy dog eyes. All he does is laugh and reach up to cup my cheek, leaning down to kiss me gently.

"That's all you're getting for now." He says and I huff, rolling over and scooting my butt back into his crotch.

"You're no fun." I mutter as I wiggle my butt against his cock, trying to tease him. He groans and tightens his hand on my wrist to stop my movements. I snicker and throw him a teasing smile.

"Just wait till you feel better. I promise to make it impossible for you to walk for awhile." He says with a wicked smirk that has me picturing all kinds of fun things. He lets out a little growl and I face away from him as his arm snakes around my body, pulling my back into his chest. He nuzzles his face into my hair, breathing in deeply. I relax as the warmth and sparks from his touch soothe my mind, the horrific memories of the last few days beginning to drift away.

"Love you, Owen." I murmur sleepily. He chuckles at me, amused at how quickly the fight has drained from me.

"And I love you, Grace." Is the last thing I hear before I drift off.