Chapter 25

Grace

I'm hyperventilating, trying to catch my breath and slowing my erratic heart but nothing seems to work.

"Grace! GRACE!" Liam screams at me, shaking my shoulders to gain my attention. "I need you to calm down!" He begs me, but I can't stop the flow of tears from my eyes.

"Calm down? How the fuck am I supposed to calm down? Vampires have Owen! He could be dead already, Liam. So please, tell me how to calm down!" I screech at him so loud he has to cover his ears.

Pansy wolf ears.

"That is what I am trying to explain to you. If you calm down, you can sense Owen. If he's alive and what direction they took him in. We can find him." He explains this slow and methodically like he's teaching a child the alphabet but I don't have time to be annoyed with him right now. He's right. I need to get my shit together and find my mate.

I take a few deep breaths to slow my breathing and dig down deep into myself. I close my eyes to concentrate, trying to block out the smell of smoke, blood and burning flesh that permeates the air around me. I feel for my bond with Owen. It's still there, strong as ever.

"He's alive." I murmur and Liam lets out a relieved breath.

"Focus on your bond and see if you can feel what way they took him." He speaks slowly, soothingly and I do as he says.

I find our bond and grip onto it mentally, clinging for dear life. I watch it swirl in my mind as it becomes a tangible thing. I rope tethering me to the wolf I love.

"This way!" I yell, pointing up into the heavy trees. Liam and a few other wolves begin to follow me, the rest staying behind to clean up before returning to the pack.

"Is he in pain?" Liam asks me worriedly and I shake my head.

"No. I think he's unconcious. I don't really feel anything from him." I explain as I push my feet fast up the steep cliff.

"He'll be alright." Liam says, more like he's trying to convince himself. My eyes threaten to spill tears, but I push them away. We don't have time for that right now. I need to get to my mate and save him.

For nearly two days we traverse the unforgiving landscape. I had to perform numerous healing charms on myself from cuts, bruises and a likely fractured arm from falling into a tree. We've barely slept, and only eat while running as fast as we can. Luckily my fire charm has always been one of my best, or I'd be eating raw meat. The more we follow this little internal compass pushing me towards Owen, the stronger it feels.

I felt when he woke up, I knew they were torturing him. I knew he was trying to block the pain from me and, to an extent, he did. But even though the pain was muted, I still knew what they were doing to him.

I also knew he never screamed.

Knowing what was happening only pushed me harder. The wolves were exhausted, barely able to keep up with the little witch pushing them towards their Alpha. When my legs gave out in exhaustion, Liam carried me on his back, following my directions as the rest of the wolves stayed close behind. I knew they were impressed by the lengths I would go to in order to find Owen. I could feel it in our pack bond, the new fondness that they were creating for me. The thought warmed me and gave me the energy I needed to keep pushing. All I could do was hope we would get there before they killed him. It felt like they got close a few times, but allowed his wolf healing to take over before they started in on their torture again.

Finally we came across a large, concrete structure tucked deep in the wilderness. Humans would likely need a plane to get to this area. It was sorrounded with barbed wire and vampires, armed with guns that I have no doubt are filled with silver bullets.

'Let's make a plan.' Liam mind links me just as I feel another twinge of pain from Owen.

'I have a plan.' I tell him, looking over the vampires deciding which one to kill first. 'Fuck some shit up.'

I blow up the first three vampires all at one time. Liam looks at me wide eyed before howling. I run towards the structure with my pack of wolves following behind me, trying to keep up. I blast anything that moves and isn't covered in fur. I hear growls around me as the wolves rip more vampires to shreds, and the sounds of screaming as the vamps know they are grossly outnumbered and overpowered.

I follow my gut, and find a heavy door. I try to pull it open, but it won't budge. I blast it a few times until it flies backwards off it's hinges and hits at least one vamp in the process. The only wolf still with me at this point is Liam, and I hear him howl to signal the other wolves to follow us.

I don't need them.

I blow shit up. Everything. Anything that's in my way, keeping me from Owen is going to end the day in pieces. I walk towards where I know he is, but there are so many doors. I find a scrambling vamp and freeze him, only allowing his head to move.

"Where is he?" I seethe, jaw clenched tight. The vamp's eyes are wide and terrified and I snap my fingers in his face to get him to pay attention. He fights against my hold, but I can't help but smirk at how futile his actions are.

"Where. is. the. alpha?" I ask him slowly.

"Third d-door on the l-left." He stutters out.

"Thank you." I say politely.

Before blowing his head up.

"This way Liam!" I shout over the chaos surrounding us. I fly down the hallway and blast the door in, trying to take some heat off of it in case Owen is near by.

I walk through the cloud of smoke the door breaking down created, and see a vampire standing right in the entryway, crouched low in a fighting position with a sneer on his face.

"Gregory, I'd like you to meet my mate. Grace. Grace, love this is Gregory. My fine host." Owen says sarcastically and I choke on a sob at the sound of his voice. I freeze Gregory rather than kill him in case Owen would like some payback, and manuever myself around him until Owen comes into view.

He's covered in blood and cuts, his face bruised and clothes tattered.

But he looks beautiful to me.

I begin to sob, throwing my arms around his neck as I take in his scent, burrowing my face against his chest.

"It's ok, love. I'm ok. You saved me." He coos gently. I pop my head up and realize he is tied to the chair with rope infused with silver. I pull it off of him as quickly as I can and he lets out a sigh of relief before gripping my waist and pulling me into his lap.

He tucks his face into my neck, wrapping his arms around me securely as I continue to cry in relief against him. My body is suddenly incredibly sore and very tired after the days of adrenaline begin to wear off. He tightens his grip on me, and pulls my chin up to look at him. His eyes full of love and pride.

"Thank you for coming to get me." He says quietly and I choke on a laugh.

"Not coming wasn't an option, baby." I say with a little smile. He chuckles a little and I have never been so grateful for a sound in my life.

"What do you say we go home?" He asks quietly and I nod before wrapping my arms around his neck.

"Ok. But there's one thing I want to do first." I tell him and he looks up at the still frozen Gregory.

"Kill this asshole?" He asks and I shake my head. "What then?" He asks. I smile and pull his face down to mine.

I capture his lips, snaking my tongue in his mouth and tightening my grip on him as if he will disappear. He responds eagerly to my kiss, groaning into my mouth as his hands trail up and down my back. I move to straddle him, gripping his hair firmly in my hands and refusing to let go.

Eventually he breaks the kiss and reaches up to cup my cheek, eyeing me with amusement.

"Are you ready to go now?" He asks, his eyes dancing with mirth and joy shining through his voice. I nod and try to stand, but my legs are like jello after running so much. Owen scoops me in his arms and tucks my head under his chin.

"Sleep, love. You've done your part. We've got it from here."