Chapter 7

Karna's eyes brightened as he gazed at the thriller book he had borrowed from the library. He strode towards the women's apartments, ignoring the weird glances the guards gave him.

It's not everyday you see a guy impressing a girl with a book. He glanced at the burning torches in trepidation.

It was late at night, then why did someone relight them? Was it something serious? Was Ishani well?
She was bubbly and chirpy 2 hours ago.

The in-chamber guards blocked their spears, glaring at him.

"Who are you?"

"Karna. Please tell Devi Ishani that Karna wishes to meet her."

The guards' eyes widened, recognizing him.

"You may go directly inside."

He nodded, entering the outer chambers. He walked through a long alleyway, before the inner chambers were visible.

The curtains fluttered slightly.

He wanted to call out to her, but his smile dropped, hearing a man's booming voice.

"Ishani, now's not the time." His tense knuckles loosened, hearing it was Vasudev.

But why was he saying that? What was happening? He decided to remain out, hearing the issue.

Ishani looked down, tears visible.

"I just feel so out of place here. Like, you revealed as to why I underwent so much, but I feel so distant and cut-off from everyone. It's hard to fit in. I'm used to wearing suits, crop tops and shorts, attending business parties in lavish outfits, knowing I was filthy rich. "

"But you are a nobody here." Krishna summed it up.

"Exactly. I mean, I'm not expecting to be royalty, but I want a family. Even if it's a commoner's. I don't want to be an unknown woman only you know of."

"I'll see to that. You don't have to worry." 

"You have anything else to say?"

"I..it's different this time. The cousins are not fighting like matador bulls, yet Shakuni freaks me out. He has a way with words. But the person who surprised me the most is Karna."

Karna leant over, wondering why he was the main topic of their talk. Did she know him earlier?

"He's so understanding and polite, even to the Pandavas. I've never met such a man."Krishna hummed.

"Different from Mehta." Ishani nodded and Karna's curiosity rose. Who was that man?

"I still can't get over the fact that I didn't belong there. How are they, anyways?" Krishna's calm face wavered.

"He's getting back. Far worse than what he did to you. Advay and Kriti are married."

Ishani sighed.