Chapter 2

Karna frowned, tossing sideways like a rag doll

Karna frowned, tossing sideways like a rag doll. What was wrong with him?

The way she wiped the sweet milk off her lips, looking down awkwardly, the way she frowned at the low neck blouse which looked like a balloon on her..

She was too cute and dangerous.

"This is the first time I am seeing my son awake and not noticing my presence." Karna hurriedly stood up at his father's voice.

"Pardon me, Pitashree. I- I .. My mind was pre-occupied.. " Adhirath smiled sternly.

"Does it have something to do with our guest?" Karna gulped, shaking his head. But his father just pulled him outside, making him sit on the steps.

"Every man will be enchanted by a beautiful woman, and lust is bound to follow. Do you..." Karna cut him.

"No, Pitashree. I don't have even an ounce of lust when I look at the Devi. She- she's someone I owe my life. You saw right? How she fearlessly defended a stranger and stood by her words. I always had the pre-conceived notion that women were timid. But she's just the opposite. And how could she use Astras without any mantra? I mean.." Adhirath laughed.

"You admire the young woman, and I won't deny that it may turn into something more. But think about its implications. We are sutas, and I am definite that she isn't lower than us. Her  mannerisms show that. Suppose she doesn't return your feelings, you'll have to get over it. But if she does, how many will you go against ?"

Karna lowered his head. He didn't want to admit that he would be ready to go against anybody for her, but it was embarrassing to admit to his father.

"I know your wandering thoughts, boy. Your shameful expression reveals it all." Adhirath raised an eyebrow, Karna's head lowering further.

"Uh Pitashree.."

He patted him slowly. Both walked to his room, Karna pulling the curtains to hold the breeze.

"Think about it. If you are lucky, I have no problem. Now, close your eyes and make yourself sleep. I am not good at lullabies."

A faint smile graced his face as his father put off the lantern, wishing him a goodnight.

Unfortunately, her face kept popping up, no matter how many mind tricks he used.

"Ugh.." He wanted to kill his mind, but it wasn't possible.

He shifted as his door creaked open. Who was it at this hour?

Surely not Pitashree, who had just told him to sleep.

His throat got stuck as the faint scent of blue lotus wafted into his chambers. He didn't need a lantern to understand that it was Ishani. 

He hurriedly adjusted the mess of books on the table and the thrown blanket. Her eyes glowed strangely, or maybe he was seeing things.