Chapter 13

Days later, 

"Vasudev, I already sent a letter to my parents and they have no problem. But the thing is, what about Shakuni ? He must be hatching another plot.."

"Which is bound to fail, Karna. Don't worry about him and relax. And I have some important news. We'll be going to Somanth, I'm not sure about the exact time we'll be leaving. Besides, there are many programmes scheduled there, and the Maharaja is very ecstatic to have all of you there.. All the ladies thought of having dances and singing, and you all can go on hunts and picnics." 

"Oh." Karna nodded, fidgeting with the hem of his Angavastram. He wasn't interested, but he would try to talk.

"By the way, Ishani is being persuaded to dance. I'll tell you a secret. She is one of the best dancers. I'm going to watch her dance, secretly because men are forbidden. Do you want to come?" Krishna smirked, his eyes swirling in mischief.

Karna was at a loss of words; he badly wanted to see her, but he didn't want to be caught later. It would be embarrassing.

"Uh, Vasudev.." Krishna ignored Karna's pleas, dragging him to the dance hall. The guards looked at each other hesitantly; if the Maharani Rukmini got to know, their heads would be cut off. 

But it was the Maharaj himself; what could they do?
"Vasudev.."

"Shh, as soon as we enter, hide behind the curtains. Don't make a single sound."

The dance hall was filled with women, busy decorating the hall and many watching the dance practice. 

Rukmini and Satyabhama were seated on the highest seats, while Ishani stood nervously before them. 

"Ishani, will you dance? I thought the song must be the Sisodian style, to impress them. We have to show that we value their traditions. What do you say?"

"You are right, Jiji. But I am afraid I am not so familiar with their customs and their dances. Could I see a dance?"

"Of course. Malavika!" Satyabhama clapped her hands, and a young woman came forward. She was the best dancer in their kingdom and owing to her exquisite beauty, she was unparalleled. 

Her doe eyes, perfectly shaped lips and her voluptuous figure could seduce men in a blink of a second. 

Krishna looked at Karna to see his expressions. His face showed only distaste. 

"Karna, what's wrong? Don't you like her? She's the best." 

Karna frowned. "Her body language shows her arrogance and the way she portrays herself like an innocent person disgusts me. She is purposely walking that way to attract attention."

Krishna smiled; " Are you attracted by her?"

"Never.  Only only woman is capable of holding my attention. Even if I want to, I cannot look away."