Chapter 16

Ishani sighed, as she looked at herself in the mirror. The red lehenga definitely suited her, showing off her curves but she didn't know how the others would react. She parted the curtains, looking down at the marble floor. The curtains swished against her, and the women gasped.

Ishani looked so beautiful that they ran out of words. Her wavy hair was left open, and small diamond stones on her ears glittered. Rukmini gently held her hands, bringing her to the sofa for her to sit.

"May no one cast an evil eye.." Satyabhama uttered, applying kohl. 

"Ishani, you ready? The men are waiting..."

She nodded, visibly worried. She was still a stranger to their customs and way of living. She didn't know how to adapt to new places.

The women walked out of their apartments, escorted by the royal guards. 

She looked up, seeing Krishna and the other men.. Her eyes roamed around, in all directions to see him.., but he wasn't there. A flash of disappointment coursed through, but she brushed it away. 

"Hiding behind me is going to complicate your relationship, Mitr.." Duryodhana chuckled when Karna shushed him. He knew she was looking for him, but he was too embarrassed to face her after yesterday's incident..

His monster broke all rules and behaved like a husband with her.. Which must have been damn uncomfortable for her..

"Krishna.." Krishna, who was busy arranging the chariot, hummed in response.

"Where is Karna?" She asked softly, when he looked up. He smirked looking at Duryodhana, while Ishani looked at where he was looking. 

Why was he looking at Suyo? 

"I guess he hasn't decided to grace us with our presence, dear. It's all right, I'll find out.." He patted her shoulder, caressing her hair.

She looked away in sadness, ascending her chariot.  The chariot reminded her of the time they rode together, and she wondered why he didn't come.

Maybe there was something important.. Her mind reasoned, trying to calm her down but it only angered her further. 

She felt like an unruly, over pampered, tantrum-throwing brat, but  she didn't feel guilty.

He should have at least told her the reason. But no! He behaved like a caveman yesterday and mysteriously disappeared when she was waiting for him like a fool. How could he?

Stupid idiot, she cursed trying to blink away the tears. She had never felt this emotional for a man.

She shouldn't get affected; he was just a friend. She requested the charioteer to slow down, though others were already ahead. It didn't matter if she was late, the person she wanted to spend time with wasn't even there.