Chapter 12

Karna wanted to lock himself in his room. But his legs carried him to her chamber. He slowly pushed the door open, looking at the dimly lit room. Her dainty figure lay on the bed, motionless.

He moved towards her, hoping that she would respond. "Ishani.." His whisper carried so much heartbreak.

His fingers shivered, as he tried to touch her cheeks. Those long eyelashes which would flutter widely, weren't moving an inch. He withdrew, not having the courage to do so.

He was a coward in front of her. Yes, he was a beast but her presence was enough to melt him. One word from her and he would do anything just to see her slight smile. He touched her hand.

It was so cold and lifeless. He rubbed her palms trying to make her warm. But she was still the same. 

Not a single movement in her. "I am sorry. It's all because of me. I- wa-was suppo-supposed to protect you, but you saved me risking your life. Please, wake up. You know, if you don't wake up, I'll go mad. Please Ishani. You are my sanity. I-I am a bad man. I never wanted friends but you showed me that friends were the people who really cared for you. I hated women due to their fragile nature. But you proved me wrong. You are fragile yet strong at the same time. You are the first woman I have been with for more than a minute." 

He pleaded and pleaded, but she didn't wake up. He looked down, closing his eyes.

His shoulders shook violently, and tears rolled down from his cheeks. Karna was crying.

For the first time in 10 years. 

"Shreeman Karna." He looked up, wiping his tears quickly. He glared, seeing Duryodhana.

"Please, I see her as a friend. Not more than that." He defended and Karna relaxed, but his swollen eyes refused to stop watering.

"She will definitely wake up. If not today, then tomorrow. She has to get up and bear our annoying selves. Devi Ishani is the strongest woman I have encountered. And though I feel ashamed to admit it, I'll still say it. You are the most powerful warrior in Aryavart. I know, you try to hide your skills so that we won't make out, but seeing your duel with Bheema was enough."

Duryodhana looked at Ishani. 

"I don't know why she is this stoic, but she is precious. More than a diamond. I hope she gets what she deserves."

He placed a hand on Karna's shoulder, patting him slowly. Karna looked at the so-called arrogant prince. He had changed, since they met. 

"I am sorry. Deep down, you are a good man. I hope you don't go back to your ways." Karna spoke, realizing Ishani was right.

You never know the other side of a coin. 

"Thank you for believing in my goodness. Even my own Pitamaha gave up on me. Thank you Mitra." Karna stilled, feeling a pair of arms around him.