Chapter 21

"Why?" She gasped as pain shot to her neck, her body trembling like a leaf. She struggled to stand, clutching the nearest pillar for support.

"Ishani." He was about to hold her arm when she tried to step away. She saw him hurting but she no longer wanted to care.

"You helped me during my dark times, and I trusted you. But why are you doing this to me, Darsh? What have I done to you that you want me at the mercy of the Asuras? If you knew my reality, you must surely know I'm the daughter of the Devas..Don't act like you don't know their sworn enemity."

Darsh looked like he wanted to say something, but he kept mum, as if it was his best decision to remain silent.

She hissed, looking at her abdomen gauze drenched in red. 

"Why aren't you responding, Darsh? have you been their spy? I'm sure Krishna wouldn't be happy to hear this." She smiled wickedly, showing him the middle finger.

Darsh sighed, his expression as if he were cajoling a school kid.

"Ishani, listen. I brought you here because.."

"I asked him to , petty girl."

A loud voice made them stop. Darsh almost looked relieved while Ishani frowned at the terrifying figure.

He wore a blood red dhoti and angavastram, wrapped around his chest. Like a sage, he had long, wispy beard with bloodshot eyes.

His face bore harsh marks and wrinkled lines, but he looked really strong. He clutched the rudraksh mala in his hand, muttering inaudibly.

"Petty girl?" Ishani raised an eyebrow, trying not to show her fear. For all she knew, he could be a demon in disguise.

She pretended to adjust her odhani, searching for her dagger. Where the heck did she tuck it last time? She failed to notice the man's smile.

"You knew this man all along and still didn't believe he would ensure your safety? You're really something. And don't waste your time searching for non-existent weapons. Honestly, I didn't expect you'd turn out to be like this. What a waste of my time."

"Acharya.." He raised a hand up, silencing a defeated Darsh.

"Can you tell me what's going on here? I'd prefer that."

The Acharya looked at her with a strange glint. 

"I am Shukracharya, Daitya Guru. Darsh is one of my greatest disciples.." 

Her mouth hung open. 

"He's a demon?" She looked at him closely. He did look sinfully good, but there were no indications of fangs or horns popping out of his head. Darsh shook his head.

"Petty girl, he's a demigod and that's enough for me to be his guru. Donot assume I teach only Asuras." 

"Oh. But why have you brought me here?" He shrugged like it was the easiest question.