Part 6

6. Arya

“You ready yet?” Seth shouts through the door, knocking his fist on it.

“One second!” I shout back, leaning in towards the mirror and rubbing the last bit of mascara off my eyes. Chucking the make-up wipe into the bin, I try not to freak out.

I take a deep breath and step backwards. The bathing suit underneath my summer dress seems to burn into my skin as I stand in the badly lit bathroom. The bad lighting makes my make-up-less skin look almost yellow and enhances the dark circles underneath my eyes.

I run my hands down my sides, trying to smooth down my dress. The bathing suit cuts into my upper thighs and shoulders, leaving rolls peaking out. I shake my head.

You look fine. You look fine. You look fine.

“Hurry!” Seth hollers.

“I'm coming!” One more deep breath and I unlock the door and step outside.

Seth is leaning against the wall, waiting for me with his arms crossed in front of his chest. He smiles slightly when I come through the door. Avoiding eye-contact I walk past him and towards the ready packed bag on his bed. Before I can take it, Seth appears next to me, taking it from me.

“I can do it.” I say, slightly annoyed with him.

“Let me carry the stupid bag.” Seth rolls his eyes. “You look nice.” His voice is soft and I feel stupid for being annoyed with him. I have no reason to be. Just being silly.

He runs a hand through my hair, brushing it out of my face. I whisper my thanks and give him a peck on the lips.

“We better get going then.” Giving me a weird look, Seth grabs my hand and pulls me towards the door. “I'm really looking forward to today. Can't believe we haven't been to the beach once.”

“I know right.” Why did I suggest going there again? Before we leave his room, Seth stops and turns to face me again.

“Everything good?” He inquires, brow furrowed.

“Everything's great!” I lie through a forced smile and nod towards the door.

**

A silent walk later we arrive at the beach. The air smells of salt and sun lotion. As Seth chooses a spot close to the water, I inspect the beach around us. Close-by there's a group of guys, some of them I recognize to be on Seth's soccer team, lounging on some towels and drinking beers. Two girls sunbathe right next to us. Both in bikinis so small that they barely cover anything – both of them look effortlessly stunning.

I wrap my arms around myself.

Something icy cold touches my leg and I jump back, shrieking. Seth laughs loudly, throwing his head back, holding a bottle of chilled water.

“You idiot!” I slap his shoulder, kneeling beside him on one of the towels.

“You should have seen your face!” He shouts, still in hysterics.

“Very funny.” I pout, crossing my arms in front of my chest. “Bully me some more and you'll see where that'll get you.”

“Oi, you little jerk.” Seth wraps his arm around my shoulders, pulling himself closer to me. “You wouldn't be able to stay away from me if you wanted to.”

“Try me!” I challenge, shrugging his arm off.

Seth jumps up and pulls his shirt over his head. I have to shield my eyes to block out the sun as I stare at his body. He has noticeably lost a bit of weight over the past two weeks as he hasn't been able to work out but he still looks incredibly hot. As if in some cheesy commercial, Seth grabs the water bottle and twists off the bottle cap. He chucks the cap at me, getting a laugh at me. Giving me his best smoulder, he takes a sip of water before spilling some down his chest.