Part 27

27. Seth

Slightly buzzed on a few bottles of beer, Brice and I flee Miller's apartment. Leaving Arya behind weighs heavily on me, feeling like there's an unshakable weight on my shoulders and chest, pushing me back to her. That look on her face when Brice talked to her earlier made me want to stay here with her. She's clearly uncomfortable with him. But I do want to spend time with him. He was my best friend all throughout high school. Sure, we had our ups and downs but he is one of the very few people that will always have my back. You don't just throw that away. The alcohol makes my doubts slightly easier to ignore.

"Dude, I never thought you'd be the first one to get pussy-whipped," he comments, grinning lazily as we walk towards the cab that's waiting out front.

I know not to get offended by his words. That's just Brice being himself.

"Jealous?" I pull open the backdoor of the car and slide in. Brice does the same and tells the driver where to go.

"Jealous? Of what? You and her? No way, man. No offence but-"

"Don't finish that," I interrupt before he can finish that thought. I know what he thinks about Arya. I know he doesn't see her the way I do. None of them do.

"Seriously, though. Tonight you can't think of her, alright? We're going to have some good old fashioned fun. The way we used to. Remember? When we were just some young whipper-snappers?"

"I haven't changed as much as you think I did," I say confidently, smirking to myself.

"Oh is that right?" Brice chuckles and pulls out a flask. "We're meeting the others at The Corner."

He takes a large gulp of the flask's contents and glances at me.

"No thanks," I decline his silent offer, enjoying not quite being drunk yet. "The others? I thought it would be just us two tonight?"

"Aw, you should have told me you thought this was a date! I'm so sorry," Brice laughs, taking another large gulp from his flask before screwing the cap back on and pushing it into the back pocket of his jeans.

I ignore him for the rest of the ride, trying to figure out who else we could be meeting. Cole and Dave were at the soccer game earlier. Maybe they're joining us at the club. I wouldn't put it past them. They never missed an opportunity to get wasted. The rest of the group had moved state as far as I remember. There's really no one else left I can remember.

"Come on! Let's get this party started!" Brice suddenly shouts out, slapping my shoulder roughly.

Trying to shake the feeling that this night is about to take a turn for the worse, I pay the driver and climb out of the cab. I am met with bright neon lights and a line of people. All of them are waiting to get into "The Corner". A rather unoriginal name if you ask me but according to Brice it's the only place worth going now.

I am about to take my spot at the back of the line, feeling multiple pairs of eyes on me, when Brice grabs my shoulder and pulls me forward, snickering. He seems familiar with the guard at the entrance as they hug and then we're ushered into the club without any more delay. The air is stuffy and the music loud. Just as you would expect from a club like this one.

Brice has a tight grip on my arm, pulling me through the dancing crowd. It's still early in the night so it's probably only going to get more crowded as the night goes on. Brice pulls me towards a private table. I locate Cole and Dave in a large group of people. Both of them have girls clinging to their sides and are surrounded by people I've never seen before. I watch from a few steps back as Cole takes a body shot of his girl and then slaps her ass.