Part 18

18.Arya

Sunday night I meet Erich, Collin and Emma at our designated spot by the picnic tables. Although the night sky is almost pitch-black and seagulls are barely audible at this time, there seems to be a buzz all around us. Anxiety. Fear. Excitement.

Tonight is the big night.

Emma anxiously chews on her fingernails, avoiding eye-contact as Collin chucks his large backpack onto one of the tables with a grunt. The sound of cans clashing and clanking against each other ripples through the night. Collin stands back, gazing at me. Erich stands right next to me, his arms readily crossed in front of his chest.

"I'm going to give all of you the chance to leave this up to me. You can leave. You can use the backup and get back to your dorms right now.There's nothing wrong with that." I offer calmly, prepared to do this on my own. "But if you're staying, you need to be prepared for what we might face."

Emma stirs uncomfortably but Erich straightens his back beside me, puffing out his chest.

"Arya."He puts both hands on my shoulders, the look on his face intense. "We were with you from the moment you told us about your idea. We're not backing out now, right guys?"

Collin shakes his head. His determination is clear. Emma is who I'm worried about. Her eyes flit back and forth between me and the building behind me. I know she's worried and I feel bad. She shouldn't be involved if she's not one hundred percent sure.

"Emma.Don't feel pressure, please. You don't have to stay." I try signing to her whilst speaking, using the few signs I had picked up from Collin. "Really. I wouldn't be mad. None of us would be."

"Let's stop talking and get this over with." Collin translates as Emma signs, her face changing from nervous to brave.

I can't believe we're doing this. When I first came up with my idea for the project, I was sure they would shoot me down. Admittedly the idea is insane and I still think it's extremely dangerous, maybe a little stupid but at the same time, it's brilliant. It allows me to do exactly what I want to – make an impact!

I take a deep breath and open Collin's backpack. A few spray cans roll towards me and I grin. "Right, Emma, you have the stencils?"She nods, pointing towards the large cardboard cut-outs on the picnic table. "Erich, why don't you start making your round now? Better to be safe than sorry and remember, if all fails – run!"

With a nod and a tiny smirk, Erich disappears in the dark.

I fill my own backpack with three cans of black paint and carry the stencils underneath my arm, waiting for Collin and Emma to pick up the rest. They follow me carefully as we make our way towards the planned destination. Despite my determined front, I can feel my own stomach twisting and turning at the thought of what might happen after our finished product is discovered.

The vibrating of my phone in the back-pocket of my jeans has me jump in surprise. I almost drop the stencils when Collin fishes the phone out of my pocket for me. He glances at the lit up screen before I can protest, rolling his eyes and then handing the phone to me.