Part 35

^^^Paulina

35.

Seth's eyelids feel heavy as he tries to open them. Invisible fingers are pushing them back down, fighting against Seth's will to come back to consciousness. Finally, after what seems like an eternity, he manages to open his eyes the tiniest bit but is still surrounded by nothing but darkness. Seth tries to reach out to find some sort of a light source but his body won't comply. His arms and legs are stiff by his side and no matter how hard he tries, his body won't move an inch. Even when he tries to speak, call out for help or simply get someone's attention, his lips stay shut. He closes his eyes again.

He should be scared... But he isn't.

Confused, lost and strangely cold but not scared.

He searches his brain for any hints on what's happening to him. He tries to remember where he fell asleep last, tries to recount his steps and make sense of this but whenever he tries to go past the moment his eyes just fluttered open... he draws a blank. There's nothing there. Just complete and utter blackness.

What time is it? What day is it? He has no idea.

As he lies there, Seth loses sense of time. It might be seconds, minutes, hours of silence and blackness.

Suddenly there is a noise that catches his attention. Like footsteps crunching down on gravel. Multiple feet seem to grind down into the gravel and... yes, they're coming closer!

Seth listens so intently, when he feels pressure on his forehead, he jumps up instinctively. His eyes open and then there's light. So much light! It's as though with the light he gains the ability to move again. He twists and turns, looking around until his eyes land on something. No, someone. Two people stand a couple yards away from him, staring at him smilingly. A man and a woman. Something about them is familiar, though he doesn't recognize the couple. Squinting his eyes, he tries to get a closer look.

The woman lifts her hand to wave him towards them and the man's facial expression drops from a smile to something comparable to grim. Curiosity moves Seth towards the two. There's nothing about them that would imply danger.

"Who are you?" Seth stops walking at the sound of his own voice and the woman's smile widens.

"Come here, son. We need to talk to you." Her voice compared to his sounds almost angelic and so familiar. He squeezes his eyes shut and tries to figure out who these people are.

Seth doesn't move, keeping his eyes and mouth shut. But then the sound of footsteps on gravel reaches him again and he knows that they're approaching him now. He tries to step back but his legs won't move again. Once he opens his eyes, they are right in front of him. Seth's eyes focus on the woman's face, her dark wavy hair, her curvy body... The golden brown of her eyes...

"Arya?" His voice echoes from imaginary walls and is so loud; he feels the urge to slap his hands over his ears. Of course she's not Arya. This woman is substantially older than the girl he loves but... the woman in front of him looks so much like her.

"No, of course not, honey."

The woman's pleasant smile turns into a chuckle when the man appears by her side. She turns towards him and wraps her arms around his waist, burying her face in his chest. The man is tall and with his dark features, he could definitely be described as intimidating. As Seth eyes him, he is sure that he has seen him before.

"We're her parents." The man says simply, brown eyes sparkling down at Seth. "My name is Adam. This is my wife Maria."

"But..." His words won't register in Seth's mind. This does not make any sense. Arya's parents are dead! There's no way they could be Arya's parents unless...