Part 15

15. Arya

Sitting cross legged on my bed, I furiously dig a metal spoon into a small tub of ice cream. My hair sticks to my neck and my cheeks are red hot. The mascara I had applied in a rush earlier is probably smudged underneath my eyes. The sickly sweet chocolate flavor momentarily distracts me from my mumbled thoughts.

I'm too tired to go to sleep. That is an odd emotion. So much happened today. It shouldn't be possible to fit so many events into twenty-four hours. Being alone is exactly what I need and although it is almost morning, I don't intend on sleeping any time soon.

As I stare out of the window, I remember Kevin chasing after me after that kiss.

"Hey. Come on, just stay to talk for a second. I shouldn't have done that. That was wrong." He yelled as I walked away from him. I remember the fresh air feeling so great against my skin. The alcohol in my system had me in a delirium. I felt amazing and like shit at the same time. And then I turn to face Kevin, tell him that it's fine but instead I meet eyes with Seth.

If that was possible, he looked worse than me. Miserable. Sitting on the ground, his shirt balled up and pressed against his bloody face. Kevin then turned to look at Seth.

"You think he's here for you?" He asked without hesitation, leaning in close to me. He was so close that I could smell alcohol mixed with a slight hint of mint on his breath. I just shook my head, turned again and started walking. My heart felt like it would burst out of my chest then. I wanted to tell Kevin to just leave so I could make sure that Seth was alright but when I turned to check on him once more, he was already getting up to leave, not looking back once.

"Can I at least take you back to your room?" Kevin asked, reaching out to touch my arm.

I offered him a small smile. How do you get someone to stop worrying about you?

"No." I said bluntly, still smiling. "I just need to clear my head but we can talk again soon. I'll text."

He didn't look convinced but I didn't give him another chance to say anything else.

Now that I am back in my room, still dressed, sitting on my bed and devouring week-old ice cream I realize something: I hadn't been kissed by anyone except Seth in a long time until tonight. A small smile creeps onto my face. Of course the circumstances weren't the best. I had only really just met Kevin after all. I don't know him at all but for some reason...

I put the ice cream aside and finally take my phone off my night stand, turning it on. It comes to life with a short buzz. Then, after a few seconds, three notifications pop up.

First, "You have 13 missed calls."

Second, "You have 13 voice messages."

Third, "42 missed messages in 3 different chats."

I swipe my finger across the screen, deleting the first notification. Then I move on to the third. Amber, a group called "Banksy" and Seth (of course) had messaged me. Quickly scanning Amber's and the group's messages, I finally move on to Seth's messages. There weren't any recent messages. Mostly from one or two weeks ago. He must have given up after noticing that he wasn't getting any replies. My heart ached slightly as I read his "I love you"'s and "I miss you"'s.