Part 10

10. Arya

I turn around fully, noticing that not only Jackson stands in front me – his usual smirk plastered on his dramatically gorgeous face – but the whole soccer team, including Seth, jogs up behind him. Seth steps out of the group but I can see in his face that he's trying not to make a scene.

“You're fucking the soccer Captain?” Erich whisper-yells at me.

“I'm not!” I shriek, my cheeks bright red with a mixture of anger and embarrassment.

“Don't deny it, babe.” Jackson mocks, making me cringe.

“Can you just leave me alone? Don't you get that I want nothing to do with you?!” I choke down my anger as I don't want to look crazy in front of everyone and have worked too hard to become the emotionally crippled fat girl all over again.

Jackson scoffs and to my surprise he turns and walks back to rest of his team.

“Who are you having sex with then?” Erich inquires, Collin and Emma watching on curiously.

“I'm not having sex with anyone!” I shout out, having had enough.

Getting off the bench, I catch a glimpse of Seth. His expression is unreadable. I don't want to deny being with Seth. If anything, I'd love to shout it out to the whole world. I feel like the luckiest girl alive to get to be with him everyday but I'm not stupid... I remember Jackson's threats and I know exactly that at some point Seth and I have to put up a pretence in order to keep him on the team.

Might as well start now.

We only have to make Jackson believe that nothing is going on anymore and this was the perfect opportunity to get the ball rolling. I'm not a martyr but I am willing to deny the relationship that I am so immensely proud of if it means that the man I am in love with gets to follow his dream.

As I walk off, I turn once more to see the soccer team jogging away. Emma, Collin and Erich pack up their things hurriedly and come running after me. Erich reaches me first.

“I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make a scene. Sometimes I feel like there's this TMZ reporter inside me that just needs to get all the gossip out of people no matter who becomes collateral damage in the process.” He explains, the words leaving his mouth at lightning speed.

“It's fine.” He doesn't know. It really isn't his fault.

Emma and Collin catch up with us. Emma signs something before Collin starts translating. “Do you still want to work with us? We would understand if you don't.”

I catch the glare Emma is giving Erich and stop walking, taking a deep breath.

“Please don't... don't worry about what just happened. I really don't want to talk about it and I don't want this to get in our way.” Shaking my head, I bite down on my lips.

Emma puts a hand on my shoulder.

“I'm sorry. I'm a mess.” I apologize with a humorless chuckle.

“Don't worry about it.” Collin says and I'm surprised at how gentle his voice is.

“Yeah, don't worry about it.” Erich agrees before I can read too much into it. “We're all partners and we all have one goal so let's concentrate on that. I promise not to intrude on your personal business anymore if that's what you prefer.”

“I would definitely prefer that. Thank you.”

**

The day passes by quickly as we spend it researching, discussing, making sketches and spending hours talking about colour-schemes and the importance of street art. I learned a lot about Erich, Emma and even Collin let us have some insight into his past. His love of art had formed when he was a little boy as it was a way for him to communicate with his family. Both his parents are deaf. Emma and him have history far beyond college. They grew up together and whilst they tried dating throughout high school, they realised they worked best together as just friends.