The Cat Reads His Novel

On Sunday, also known as my only day off, I sleep til noon like a teenager. But rather than getting out of bed the whole day I gather up my supplies such as a pencil, pen, high lighter, and my side kick- the infamous sticky notes. And head straight back to bed to do my homework. After finishing all the other novels I had to edit, I pick up the one I am saving for last.

The Endless Night, by Jason Swan. A compelling title. A little unoriginal however it still hooks me. Curiously I skip to the very back out the humongous pile of papers. 678 pages.

Oh lord! I really hope this isn't the final copy. No way is any hiring woman going to want to drag this bible sized book around just for a few steamy scenes.

I feel like I should put it into the discard pile and ask Jason to downsize the amount of pages and maybe get rid of a few un needed pages. Completely ignoring my professional instinct, I flip to the first chapter past the table of contents, which is large enough to be a story if its own. I noted that this book is not dedicated to anyone nor does it have a prologue or a forward that one would naturally expect from such a large book.

With all critics aside I crack my knuckles and begin reading as a reader not an editor.

By Monday night I am completely finished. The 678 pages flew past in a little more than twenty four hours. I am both amazed by the book and my talented reading skills. In an erotic book one would not expect to have to pick up a dictionary to find a word, nor that you will infect cry.

Trust me when you get to chapter 29 you will cry your little horny heart out.

That book was written by the god of words. As soon as I finish, I pick up my cell to call Jason's private number he had left me. I'd never dream of calling an author this way but I am bursting at the seems with compliments about his writing. I am beyond amazed.

"Hello," I could here his boyish grin through the phone. "Jason Swan here."

"Mr. Swan, it's me Gwen Jacob. I'm calling about your book." I say very professionally.

"Oh, yes. Gwen! Have you read it yet?" He smirks.

"I-I have, it took me a while but I have. I can honestly say that this work of genius is going to be published. I promise."

He laughs. "I knew it would. Genius huh? Well shucks, sweetheart! Hey why don't we meet up for a coffee so you can further compliment me on my awesome writing skills, yes?"

"I guess we could. But strictly professional. What time?"

"Would tomorrow morning at eight suffice?"

"Indeed, thank you Mr. Swan. Please talking to you. See you soon."

As soon as the dial tone sounds I breathe a sincere sigh of relief again. I am just glad he didn't mention another publishing company perhaps one with a better delivering system and more connections, even after I praised his novel.

This man never stops amazing me. I hadn't been to the office in almost two days. I was obviously far too busy finishing his book to stop by to pick up more work. I drive there in my Volkswagen Bug only to find out that I don't have anymore novels to proofread, my only assignment was to finish editing Mr. Swan's book. That doesn't bother me, I am already done with the punctuation, grammar, ect. Part of it.

All I need to do then was have a long chat with the author to discuss prices, the title, summary, and the works. Not only that though, I also have to have him read the corrected parts and tell me what else to add. After all it is his book.