1 .

" Sorry, excuse me! ", I urge to the standing crowd that was in my way. I was 15 minutes late to my interview.

I was only late because the interview I had before this went over the time they scheduled to end at, plus my card was acting funny when I tried to order a uber.

I run inside the building the interview was being held at. I run up to the front desk and set my computer and all my papers on the counter. I try to catch my breath as the receptionist looks at me funny.

" Hi... what can I help you with? ", she questions. " I have an interview with Mr. Banks. ", I breathlessly tell her. I hope she doesn't mention anything about me being late. I really need this job, it pays well and I need it more than ever right now.

She does some typing on the computer then stands up, " Follow me. " I nod and grab my things off the counter and follow her.

She leads me onto an elevator and we go up to the 5th floor. She walks off once the elevator opens and I continue to follow her. She points at a seating area, " I notified Mr. Banks that you're here, he should be out shortly to get you. "

I plop down in the chair and sigh, " Thank you. " I close my eyes, I just want this to go well. I just want this one thing to go well for me.

I open my eyes and pull out my phone. I go to the camera and fix myself up a little. All that running almost sweated out my hair.

I notice someone standing over me so I lock my phone and look up.

" You Kaycee? ", the tall figure who was standing in front of me questioned. I nodded and he motioned me with his fingers to follow him. I quickly grabbed my things and followed him.

We walk into his office and he lets me walk in. He walks in and closes the door and chuckles. I make a confused face at him, " What? " He slows his chuckles and walks over to his chair.

As he's walking over, I eye what he's wearing. He has a white, long sleeve button up shirt on but the top 2 buttons are undone showing his 2 gold chains. He has black dress pants on paired with black and white Alexander Mcqueens.

His hair was kinda long. He had like... a intimidating but nice look to him.

He sits down in his chair and stares at me, " You gone have a seat or we gone be standing and talking yo? " I stammer and make my way over to the seats he has in front of his desk.

I sit my computer and papers on my lap. He leans back in his chair and continues to stare at me.

" Uhm... ", I started off saying nervously looking away from him. It felt like he was staring into my soul. I rustle through my papers looking for my resume.

" Where you work before this? ", he asked me sitting up in his seat. " I worked at a hotel, as a assistant manager checking people in and out- it's on my resume if I can just find it- "

" Ion need to see it yo. Put allat shit in the chair, you don't need allat right now. We talking. ", he instructed sternly. I looked at him and he was serious so I put everything in the chair next to me, " I'm sorry. It's the stuff from my other interview. "

He raised an eyebrow, " Other interview? " I nod.

•••

" And after you told him you were at another interview, what he say? ", my mom poked. I tried to hide my smile, " He gave me the job! "

I looked down at the phone and she was smiling. " I'm proud of you CeeCee. So proud. " I tried to restrain myself from crying. I was just so happy my hard work finally paid off.

" I'm doing all this for you. ", I told her wiping my eyes. I looked at the background and I saw all the machines and IV's she was hooked up to. Her hospital bills are a lot to pay just by myself, hints to why I needed this job more than ever.

I promised my mom that as long as she kept fighting, I'll keep paying her bills. I really don't wanna lose her. She's all I have.

Hopefully she gets better and she can be at the house with me again. She always tells me how she misses her bed, and how she hates the hospital bed. I keep telling her soon hoping it will be soon.

" Alright mom, I'll let you sleep. I just wanted to tell you the good news. " I smiled into the phone. She smiled back, " Love you CeCe. " I kissed the phone screen, " I love you too. "

I hung up and before I tossed my phone, I got a text from an unknown number.

(312) 432- 7212

𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗗𝗲𝗶𝗼𝗻, 𝘀𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝗺𝘆 𝗻𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿

I scrunched my face, who is Deion? Then I remembered that's Mr. Banks first name.

𝗼𝗸𝗮𝘆

I lock and toss my phone on my nightstand. I sigh and get under my covers. I cant wait to officially start working, I'm more than ready.