13 .

LAST NIGHT

" I didn't even do anything... ", I whined. I can't even ask what's going on without him getting annoyed with me.

" I ain't mean to- ", Deion said before I hung up. I locked my phone and tossed it on the table. I wiped my tears I still had from crying a couple minutes ago. I watched my phone ring on the table as Deion kept trying to call me.

I stood up and started making my way upstairs. I'm going with Trell because I don't see the big deal as to why I can't go. It's annoying that Deion tries to tell me what to do all the time just because I work for him. He can't tell me who I can and can't go with.

I feel like Trell just wants to see how I am regarding my mom and I don't want to be mean and turn that down if he's trying to do something nice and check on me.

I grab my purse and shoes as I hear somebody knock on the door. I walk down the stairs and up to the door. I open it and Trell was standing there, " You ready? "

This was nice because I've been meaning to talk to Trell about how he felt about Deion kissing me. He stopped talking to me after I told him so we never really discussed it but I want to because I didn't wanna hurt his feelings and I know that's what I did.

I nodded and walked out the house closing the door behind me.

PRESENT DAY

" I just don't get why you're mad... I didn't do anything wrong. ", I mumbled. He ignored me and kept tending to his phone. He's rarely ever on his phone so I know he's doing it just to have a reason to ignore me and I can tell he didn't wanna talk about it but I did because I don't like him ignoring me.

He's been comforting me since the funeral and if he's ignoring me, I feel like I don't have that comfort.

" Can we talk about it? We can take turns talking like you've said before. ", I suggested. He looked at me but didn't say anything so I assumed it was a yes and he wanted me to start.

" On the phone before I went with Trell... you were scaring me. I didn't know what was going on and when I tried to ask questions you got annoyed and loud with me for no reason- ", I started to explain.

" It wasn't for no reason yo. You sat down with me and I explained everything I accused that nigga of and I told you over and over that I don't trust that nigga. ", he interrupted.

I eyed him, " It's my turn, why are you- "

He smacked his lips, " I don't give a fuck, you don't listen. You sensitive and get in yo feelings about every little shit that happen and it's annoying. You think cause I told you that you can't do this or that, I'm bossing you around... last night wasn't even about that Kaycee. It was about me tryna keep you safe and you twisted it into some shit about me telling you what ta do all the time. "

I scrunched my face, " Well I'm sorry I was sensitive yesterday considering what I had to go through and the type of day I had. If you wouldn't have left then none of this would have happened... maybe I just needed somebody after you left me here by myself. "

He shook his head and didn't say anything. I still don't even know the person he went to go help.

" Who did you go help get a hotel room? ", I questioned crossing my arms. He ignored me so I stood up and grabbed his phone, " Answer the question. Stop trying to ignore your way out of everything. "

" Shit don't matter, it's over. You went with Trell, ain't nothing I tell you gone change the fact. ", he mumbled. He stood up to try to grab the phone but I pulled my arm back, " Tell me! "

" Why you gotta act like this? ", I continued. " You act like you can't answer certain questions like it's going to upset me or something. "

He started getting in my face, " I act like this because I care about you! I care about yo feelings and how the shit I don't say gone make you feel, I keep telling you there's a lot of things you don't know and I can't tell you so quit asking me the same questions if I'm not giving you a answer. Shit so frustrating. "

I tossed his phone on the couch, " If you cared about me you wouldn't be keeping things from me Deion. So don't lie and say you care about me all of a sudden. "

" My car is sitting in the driveway fucked up... I got scratches and shit on my face and body cause I tried to come back here to stop you from going with him and now I don't care about you? You know how messed up the shit you just said to me is? "

I went back to the couch and sat down.

" Crazy thing is, you the only person I care about and trust right now and look how you using shit against me yo. "

I looked down at my hands, I was starting to regret everything I said but I still feel like you wouldn't keep stuff from the people you care about. My mom always taught me to be open and honest with everybody because sometimes somebody just needs honesty.

" Do you even care about me? Like be forreal. "

I looked up at him and he was staring at me waiting for an answer. I didn't know what to say... I think I care about him...

" Like if roles were reversed and you were me, would you even get in a crash fa me? If you thought Ron was walking around at a business meeting, would you check around to make sure you got stabbed and I didn't? "

My eyes were starting to water. " I- ", I started to say but stopped myself. He nodded his head and got up, " You wouldn't and that's all I needed ta know. "

•••

I climb into my bed and grab my purse. I grab the business card I got from the guy at the dinner party. I told myself I was going to try the modeling thing since it was offered to me.

Maybe I need something new and modeling could be that something. I don't think working for Deion is working anymore, it's stressing me out and me and Deion keep getting into it. I think it would be best if I quit...

The money is good but the job is starting to become alot and it's starting to be too much for me.

I hear the doorbell ring from downstairs which knocks me out of my thoughts. I look over at my nightstand at the clock and it's 2 am. Who's ringing the doorbell at 2am?

I slowly get up grabbing my pepper spray from my purse and start making my way to the door, I was thinking it was probably Deion but it would be weird if it was him since we left off how we did.

I look through the peep hole and see two officers standing there. I open the door and make a confused face, " Uh, what's... going on? "

They look at each other then at me.

" Are you Kaycee Stevens? ", one of them asks. I nod slowly, " Why? Did something happen? "

The same officer that asked for my name held out a paper, " We have a warrant to search your house. We suspect that you murdered the man with the name Brayden Lanes. "

I scrunched my face, " Wait what? I don't even know who that is. I didn't murder anybody. "

The officers looked at each other again and started pushing their way inside my house. I moved out the way and let them come in and closed the door and they turned to me.

" Are you sure? You might know him as... Boogie? "