Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I was running down the stairs, taking two steps at a time when my parents stopped me to tell me the news.

"Alexandra. We have to talk with you." They started.

I swallowed. This was not a good sign. Had they figured out where I normally went? Or had they seen my i-Pod? Or my albums shoved under my clothes in my wardrobe? I followed them into the living room nevertheless.

They gestured at the couch, a signal for me to sit down. I complied.

"You know the entrance test you wrote recently?"

This was an unforeseen turn of events. Why did they have to talk to me about a test? I had written about four entrance tests before coming, and one recently, on a day I was at home and not with the band. I had to select a school soon, so it was no big deal to write entrance tests.

I nodded.

"You failed it."

Did I hear wrong? How could I fail a test? I started laughing. Then I saw their serious expressions and stopped.

"Wait. You're not joking?"

There was a silence. How awkward.

"We're not disappointed, just worried." Dad said.

What was this? An intervention?

"Has this move affected you greatly?" He continued.

"No!" My voice sounded shrill to my own ears. I was just starting to like it here.

"Or have their been distractions?" My mother asked.

I flinched. The band was NOT a distraction. They were my friends. Music was my passion as well. I couldn't just push it away. Besides, I had been getting perfectly fine grades before, when I used to listen to music secretly with my old friends.

"No." I said firmly.

She looked at me, assessing my face. I prayed that her radar would not work and find out my secrets, and blame them as my failure in getting into a good college for budding scientists. I balked at that. I couldn't imagine myself with a lab coat and test-tubes in my hands. I would have to tell them eventually that I wanted to do something different. But now was not the time for that. So I sat there, waiting for them to say something more.

"If you have anything else on your mind, you can tell us." They said, waiting for a breakdown or whatever.

"Sure." I got up, taking that as my cue to leave and did just that. I was a slightly better liar than Caleb thought I was. Or maybe I was improving. I didn't know if that made me happy or not.

I walked out into the garden to see Nathan standing next to the fence, trying to look casual, and not like he'd been waiting for me to come out. I sighed and tried to hurry away.

But before I could storm angrily out, he turned and said "Where are your new friends?"

I froze. Did he know I was sneaking around with the band? I faced him and said "I don't know who you're talking about. I'm new here, right?" I shot him a bright smile.

"What about that guy in your bedroom the other day?"

Oh, come on. He was suspicious about LIAM?

"He's just.... Trying to be friendly. Getting me used to the city."

"And I'm guessing your parents don't know about this friendly guy?"

I ground my teeth. Was this his way of getting me to forgive him? By black-mailing me?