Chapter 32

Chapter 32

I picked up my phone to call Nathan, when I realized that I didn't have his number. I decided to just stick my head out of the window and call out to him.

But when I pushed aside my curtains, I noticed that he was standing outside of his house. He was talking to a girl who had long brown hair with blonde highlights. She was wearing impossibly high heels and a short white dress. Just looking at her from a distance made me feel insecure about my own appearance.

They seemed to be arguing about something. I decided to watch Nathan feeling uncomfortable for a few more minutes.

I was going to open the window and call out to him when she shoved him so hard his back hit a tree. I stifled a laugh.

But then she leant forward and started to kiss him. Her arms went around his neck and as if on reflex, his went around her waist. I felt like throwing up. I did NOT want to see him passionately making out with some a girl who looked like a model.

Before I could let the curtains fall back into place, he pushed her away. She looked furious. He seemed to be holding her at a distance by keeping his arms in between them. After a few more minutes of arguing, she finally left.

He glanced at my window and saw me standing there. His expression changed from surprise to embarrassment to guilt.

I turned around and started to head downstairs, determined to get the day over with.

As soon as I walked up to him, he started to give a hurried explanation.

"It's not what it looks like."

"What does it look like?" I asked drily, not waiting for him to catch up.

"It looks like she's my girlfriend. But she isn't."

"Really? Then why were you kissing her?"

"Well she started it! Look, it's complicated."

"It can't be so complicated that you can't explain it."

"She's my ex. She doesn't want to accept that there's nothing between us anymore."

"Oh, so you had a girlfriend when you supposedly had feelings for me?"

"I dated her to try to get rid of those feelings! But then I realized that they were still quite strong when I saw you again."

"You're still sticking with that lie? That you have feelings for me instead of that girl who you looked quite intimate with?"

"Kayla can be quite stubborn sometimes. But there's no way that I'm going back to her." He said seriously.

"So that's Kayla." I remembered the call I had received on his phone on the night I had carried him home.

"You know her?"

"She had called on the night that you tried to serenade me in a drunken state. Since you weren't conscious, I had to pick up your phone."

"That wasn't a good idea." He was referring to the drunken serenade.

"Look. Let's just get this little meeting over with. I don't care about your relationships, past or present."

"You sure sound like you do."

"Are accusing me of being jealous? You just wish I was."

"Why are you so angry then?"

"Because when a boy says he likes you, he's supposed to mean it. You can't say something like that, use it as an excuse for ignoring me and then go around acting like you forgot about the whole thing!"