Chapter 26

Chapter 26

"Nathan?" My voice sounded shaky to my own ears.

He didn't move. All at once, I started thinking of the worst-case scenarios that could happen. Before I knew it, I was running down the stairs and across the lawn.

I reached the pavement where he lay, unmoving. He didn't look hurt, but his eyes were closed. I knelt down, and after a moment of hesitation, shook his shoulder. His eyes opened after a minute of frantic shaking.

"Lex?" He sounded confused. Then he spotted the pillow. "Are you coming for a sleepover?"

I sighed heavily, hoping that that he hadn't hit his head too hard.

"No. We aren't kids anymore." I chatised him.

His eyes widened and he gave me a hurt look. He tried getting up, but flopped down again. Apparently he had lost the ability to walk without falling. I pulled him up, and started to drag him home.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay over?" He asked, excited. "We can make cookies!"

"I'm sure." I remembered what Jake had said about Nathan being a light-weight. I prayed that he wouldn't throw up on my feet.

We reached the front door and I looked at him expectantly. He didn't understand and continued to stare at my face.

"Where's the key?" My patience was starting to wear thin.

He pointed to a flower-pot nearby. I kicked it aside, revealing a key. Then I prepared for the tricky part. I inched closer, starting to bend my knees. His body weight almost made me buckle over, but somehow I managed to hold my position.

I made a grab for the key, and managed to get it. After managing to open the door, we stumbled inside.

"Where are your parents?" I was whispering, just in case they happened to be sleeping.

"At some conference." His voice was dismissive.

After managing to get him to his room and drop him on the bed, I collapsed on a chair.

"What's wrong with you? Ever heard of alcohol poisoning?" My eyes were narrowed as I said this. I tried to forget about my own wrong choice at a certain party.

"Sorry." His lower lip was trembling slightly. "I just wanted to forget that you hated me."

"I don't hate you." I said truthfully. "I could never hate you. I was just angry."

"I'm glad. I'll make for ignoring you, I swear." He looked relieved.

"Why did you ignore me? I think I deserve an answer."

"I'll tell you. Just stay." He closed his eyes, and I waited for him to start talking.

Unfortunately, he had fallen asleep and didn't look like he was going to give an explanation to me any time soon.

"Stole a key..." A voice suddenly accused me.

"I just borrowed it!" I said out loud.

"Took a car downtown where the lost boys meet."

I definitely didn't do that. I realized that Nathan's phone was playing Charlie Brown. So he was a Coldplay fan. Interesting. Before his phone could stop ringing, I decided to pick it up.

"Nathan!" A high-pitched voice squealed.

I held the phone a little away from my ear before replying.

"He's not here at the moment."

"Is he alright?" The girl asked.

"Yes." I assured her, starting to feel curious about who this girl was and if Nathan had met her after our fight.