Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I woke up to James Blunt singing 1973. I hit the alarm clock and threw the blanket off, smiling. I didn't really know why I was so happy, since the concert was the next day. But I literally bounced off my bed, and threw the curtains open wide. I stood there for a second, absorbing the sunlight. Then I danced into the bathroom and sang in the shower again. Everything seemed so perfect today. I slid down the banister into the kitchen.

"Someone's in a good mood." Dad said.

I smiled at him. "And good morning to you."

"Why are you such a morning person?" Jake complained. He was rubbing his face. "I hate morning people. They're so.... peppy."

"That's because you're nocturnal." I reached up to mess up his hair. More than it was already.

"Stop squabbling kids." Mom said, walking in with breakfast.

"Tell her not to touch my hair." Jake pouted, trying to look innocent. It didn't work.

We sat down and had orange juice, toast and boiled eggs. There was a weirdly peaceful aura in the room. And my family is usually nothing but peaceful in the morning. Or maybe it was just me who thought so. Whatever. Nothing was going to bring me down today. My phone rang and I went to pick it up.

"Heloooo?" I gleefully stretched the word.

"Lexa?" A familiar voice asked.

"Oh My God. Jules?" I walked out of the room, so I could keep my conversation private.

"Yep. I miss you so much already!"

"Same here. How are things back home?"

"Fine. Danny keeps asking me out. The usual, you know?" she laughed.

"Wow. He still hasn't given up?" I remembered that Danny, another outcast at our school had the hugest crush on her. He didn't even try to deny it when people found out and made fun of him. He just asked her to be his girlfriend the next day. Sadly, my friend likes another boy, who barely knows about her existence. Love is hard.

"Yep. I really don't know how long I can keep saying no though. Maybe I should try it and see how it works out. After all, he's the only guy who's always there for me right?"

I had no idea what to say (Since I've had SO much experience in matters like this. Not.) so I just said "Follow your heart."

"Anyway, how's things with you?"

"Nathan lives right next to me. And he wants to come back into my life." I sighed.

"Woah. Don't let him off the hook so quickly."

I nodded. I remembered the day I became friends with her and the others. A few months after Nathan had left, things had changed. People who didn't dare to pick on me with him around had suddenly realized they now could. They would usually push me to the side while walking in the hallways, or block my way and pretend they hadn't seen me. I could bear it though, until one day, when I was walking to my next class, a snooty girl held her foot out and tripped me. The books I was carrying lay scattered on the floor, and I was pretty sure my knees were skinned.

But I picked myself up and started gathering my books. I was alright until she started talking.

'Can't survive without your bestie, can you?'

'I don't need him.' I had said, gritting my teeth.

'Oops. Did I hit a nerve? Oh yeah, rumor has it that he forgot all about you? Maybe he's forgotten your name too.'