Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I couldn't sit still. I got up and paced around, waiting for Roxy to pull up at the door. I had worn my favorite tee and skinny blue jeans. My hair was pulled up into a high pony and black studs glittered on my ears. I looked at the time again. They said had they'd be hear by now. Just when I was going to text Liam, I heard the horn, which was my cue.

I ran out, grinning. "Hey!"

"I see you're ready to go." Liam grinned. To my surprise, he was wearing a white shirt instead of his usual black. His sleeves were rolled up till his elbows. He was wearing black pants though, and his usual boots.

I turned to look at the rest, who had also dressed a little differently. Jasper was wearing a dark blue shirt and a leather jacket over it. He was also wearing ash-colored jeans. Zach was wearing a white tee, a flannel shirt on top and his signature jeans which were slightly ripped at the knees. But Scarlett was the one who shocked me the most.

She was wearing a red, short dress that was quite befitting for her name. Her hand was up in a bunch and a few curls were hanging free around her neck. She even had makeup on. I didn't realize that I had been gaping until she looked a little self-conscious and snapped "Why don't you take a picture?"

I sighed, then jumped in the back, next to her and Zach. Yes, Jasper was up front today. I guess he deserved it, since he had gotten us the tickets.

"It's shocking right?" Liam asked, while starting the car.

"Huh?" I asked, feeling embarrassed for spacing out.

"Seeing everyone in presentable clothes? We decided to look good for once. After all, it is our first real outing with you." he grinned in the mirror, using it to look at my reaction.

"Wow. That's sweet of you guys." I managed to say. I was starting to feel like the odd one out. Even when I tried, everyone managed to look way better than me.

My mood must have traveled or something, since everyone was silent for once. Until Liam heard something on the radio and turned it up. A song was beginning to play.

"It's our song!" he announced.

"Please don't tell me it's Empire State of Mind. That would be so cliché." I teased.

"No way." Zach scoffed.

I recognized the song as soon as they started singing along.

"It's a new day, but it all feels old. It's a good life, that what I'm told. But every day it all just feels the same. At my high school, it seemed more to me, like a jail cell, a penitentiary. My time spent there it only made me see...."

I laughed, realizing it was The Anthem by Good Charlotte. Then I joined in to sing the chorus.

"That I don't ever want to be like you, I don't want to do the things you do, I'm never going to hear a word you say, and I don't ever wanna, I don't ever wanna be you, don't want to be just like you. Oh, What I'm saying is, this the Anthem throw all your hands up. You... Don't wanna be you."

"Well, That song does strangely suit you guys." I commented after the song was over.

"Thank you...?" Jasper said, not sure if that was a compliment or not.

But before I could assure him it was, the car stopped. We had reached. For a second, I just sat still, staring at the building in front of me where one of my favorite bands would be performing in a few minutes. I jumped out with this realization. We walked over to the entrance where a bouncer was checking everyone's tickets. Well, I kind of jogged more than walked. We showed him the passes and he nodded, letting us through.

Before I could walk in though, Scarlett reached out and plucked my scrunchie out of my hair.

"What was that for?" I hissed, my hair falling around my shoulders. My wild curls nearly covered my face.

"When you're with us, you're supposed to look like one of us. Free. Also, if your photo comes up anywhere on the Internet, you don't have to explain your presence here, since your face will be hidden." she explained.

"Alright." I sighed. Why was everyone always against me tying my own hair? But I forgot it as soon as I saw the stage. There was a screen behind it showing the time before the band came onto the stage. There were only five minutes left.

"Hurry up!" Zach said, obviously noticing it at the same time I did.

We did exactly that. We even elbowed our way through, and to my shock, we ended up quite close to the stage. I tried to stay away from a few of the shadier looking members of the crowd.

Exactly a few seconds later, one of the members of the band appeared in front of my eyes. It's safe to say that nearly everyone screamed like a fan-girl. Even Liam. They burst into their hit song Pumped-up kicks. I started swaying in sync to the music, almost as if I was gravitating towards the music. The next song was Don't Stop, another crowd-pleaser.

"He's so cute!" I shrieked, looking at Mark Foster. Scarlett actually grinned at that.

To my horror, he actually heard that. Yes, the lead singer of Foster The People heard me calling him cute. I could die of embarrassment. But then he looked my way, saw my blushing face (which must've been as red as my hair) and winked at me. Scratch that, I could die from a heart attack. Mark Foster just winked at ME.

The rest of the band noticed, and weirdly the guys stiffened, starting to glare. Scarlett saw this and started to laugh. Mark grinned and launched into the next song, Call it what you want, which was my current favorite.

I shot them looks saying shut-up-and-let-me-enjoy-this-song and turned back to the stage. Thankfully, they did just did that and I had an amazing time at the concert. They played a few other songs like Houdini, Waste and Helena Beat. I knew I wasn't the only one who enjoyed the concert when I saw the exhilaration written on the faces of my companions.

"So how was your first concert?" Jasper asked.

"I'll tell you once it sinks in." I responded, closing my eyes as if it would help preserve the memory.

He chuckled. Liam casually threw a hand over my shoulders, shocking me into throwing my eyes wide open. Not because it felt uncomfortable, but because it was such a nice feeling. I felt warm and safe. I felt like I belonged here. I tried to control my expressions even though suddenly it felt like I was having a panic attack right there and then.

I had just realized that my time with them was limited. It could also be very risky. I was lying to my parents, going to places where no one could protect me if something happened and doing all of this with a band. Whose last names I didn't even know. And I was already getting attached to them. What were the odds that we'd stay in contact after this summer? What would I do if I lost the only place where I felt wanted? Where I could fit in?

What would I do without music?

But all my thoughts were forgotten when I saw a group of teenage boys walk out of the shadows and come up to us. They were scowling and looked.... scary. "Well if it isn't Liam and his talent-less followers?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oooh. Cliff-hanger. :D

Vote, Comment and Fan if you liked!

^_^