Chapter 16

Chapter 16

I followed the band as they made their way through the crowd effortlessly. We reached a make-shift stage. I tried not to trip over the stands for the instruments or the amps.

Liam took his place at the front of the stage. He tapped the mic once to get the attention of as many people as he could.

Some turned around, throwing us confused looks. The rest continued to ignore us. Rude.

"Hey." He smiled at the audience sweetly. "My name is Liam. My band is going to perform for you this evening. Hope you enjoy."

A few girls were paying attention now, as they realized a good looking guy was talking.

He turned to look at us and whispered "We're going to have to go all out."

Everyone nodded. He meant that we would have to perform rock songs only, since it was a tough crowd. We couldn't attempt anything that might get beer bottles thrown at us.

I gripped the microphone stand in front of me, starting to feel sick.

Before I could change my mind and run off the stage, Liam launched into the first song, Dead or Alive. I tried to complement his voice as best as I could.

It went quite well, and a few people had gathered in front of us by the end.

A creepy looking man was leering at Scarlett. I didn't need to worry about her as she nearly strangled him with the wire connecting her guitar and the amp.

She pretended it was a mistake and let him go when he started to turned blue.

The next song was Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes. I started feeling more comfortable as more people were listening to us and did not look like they wanted to throw us off the stage.

I swayed along to the music, getting accustomed to the feeling of performing with the band.

After that, we performed All Black by Good Charlotte, a personal favorite. I gestured to the people sitting around to get up and join the growing crowd. They complied and started dancing with the others.

All was well until Liam started to sing Highway to Hell. Liam is a good singer.

But the embarassing fact is that he doesn't really have the grit in his voice to carry off classic rock songs.

I had to do something before anyone noticed.

So I attempted to change my voice, and joined in the chorus, hoping that people would appreciate a new take on a classic. The band picked up on what I was trying to do and changed the way they were playing their instruments in a way that would support Liam.

We flowed together better than I thought we would. It was amazing.

The performance was about to be wrapped up after two Nirvana songs, but to the band's surprise, Scarlett started to play the beginning of a song.

She came closer and told me "It's your turn to be in the spotlight."

"What?" I hissed.

"I know you can sing by yourself. So you should."

"But what song are you going to play?!"

"Misery Business."

Interesting. I didn't peg her for a Paramore fan.

She started singing before I could protest. The band looked confused but started to play along.

We couldn't risk jeopardising the entire performance.