Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Sara Bareilles' sweet voice woke me up. But it wasn't my alarm that had rung. I fumbled around until I found my phone. Thankfully, I had changed the ringtone as soon as I could yesterday.

"What?" I sighed.

"Practice is at Jasper's place today. The auditorium isn't free. Be there in an hour." Scarlett said.

I pushed myself up and just as I said that I understood, she hung up.

What a way to start my morning.

I yawned and attempted to crawl out of bed. I made the mistake of looking back. My pillows and blanket were bathed in sulight, looking very comfortable. I felt like they were calling me.

"Don't leave us Lexa, we'll feel so alone." They seemed to whisper.

"Just five minutes wouldn't hurt." I reasoned and fell back in.

~

"Wake up." I groaned and swatted aside whatever was poking me.

"Don't be lazy. We let you sleep past the usual time."

I pushed Jake rudely away.

"There's pancakes for breakfast."

My eyes fluttered open and I jumped to my feet.

"That wasn't so hard now, was it?" He grinned, waving a spatula around.

"Wait. Did you make pancakes?"

"Don't sound so shocked." He feigned hurt.

I rolled my eyes and proceeded to push him out of my way so I could brush my teeth. I was kind of glad he made pancakes. I was getting tired of cereal anyway.

At the table, only two plates were filled with pancakes.

"Mom and Dad?" I questioned.

"They left before you woke up."

I poured a generous amount of syrup onto them and started devouring my pancakes. As I munched on them, my eyes fell on the clock. It had been three hours since I last woke up. Three hours since... Scarlett called. Holy shit.

I shoved the remains of my breakfast in my mouth and ran up the stairs. I put on acceptable clothes in a hurry, ran down again and shouted a quick goodbye to my brother.

He waved in a puzzled manner.

"I'm late!" I explained and dashed out the door.

I had never been good at running. Five minutes after trying to sprint to Jasper's house, I had slowed down to a fast walk. In some more time, I was clutching my side which was suddenly in pain and walking in through the open gate, wheezing.

I collapsed at the door and theatrically pounded on it.

"Open up! Don't let me die here just because I'm late!"

The door opened and I fell forward on my face.

"I told you Zach, women just throw themselves at my feet." An amused voice drawled.

Trust Jasper to find something inappropriate to say in any situation.

"Can't we just use duct tape to shut him up for once?" I grumbled.

"It might be considered rude since we're in his house." Liam was always the voice of reason.

"Who needs manners?" I walked inside, shoving Jasper out of my way.

"We all know how much you care about manners. Especially puntcuality." Zach had a wide smile on his face.

"I overslept, it's not a crime!" I snapped.

"Calm down, we aren't blaming you." Liam raised his hands as if he was surrendering.

"Let's just get started." Scarlett muttered.

We did just that. After a tiring two hours we decided to take a break. I wandered around the practice room looking at all the pictures on the wall. There was one of Scarlett playing with Avril Lavigne. One of Zach waving a backstage pass a AC/DC concert. There were countless other pictures of memories which didn't include me.

It almost felt like I was intruding special territory just by observing these photos.

I was snapped out of my reverie when everyone but Jasper announced they were going to get food. For the first time, he was silent. He was bending over some sheets of paper.

I tried to sneak up on him but he shoved them away when he realized what I was trying to do. I only saw a piece but it was enough to tell me what was on the paper.

"Are you composing music Jasper?" I asked, trying to keep the shock out of my voice.

"No." He replied stubbornly, clenching his jaw.

"Do you plan on showing us? We can use them for our performances!"

"They're private." He insisted.

"So you agree you're writing songs!" I felt triumphant.

"Don't tell anyone." He sighed.

"Fine, but someday, you'll have to tell them."

Before he could respond, the rest filed in carrying snacks and playing music.

I recognized the song as Cowboy Casanova by Carrie Underwood and grinned. I grabbed the hat off Zach's head and on an impulse, started singing and dancing along.

"He's a good time, cowboy casanova leaning up against the record machine. Looks like a cool drink of water, but he's candy-coated misery."

I placed the hat on Jasper's head, taunting him and trying to lighten the mood at the same time.

He raised an eyebrow, pulled me with one arm and started dancing with me. He twirled me around and I gasped. Just as I thought he was going to drop me, he turned and put the hat on Liam's head.

Then he bowed, indicating that Liam was the biggest Casanova present. I smirked and took a bow as well. Zach and Scarlett clapped for our little performance and Liam scowled and threw the hat at Zach. We knew he wasn't really upset though.

After attacking the food, Zach told us all to wait before resuming practice. He pulled a small plastic case from his pocket and handed it to me.

"What's this?" I was curious.

"Open it."

I did just that and saw a thin pair of spectacles. The frame was deep purple in colour.

"This is for me?" The confusion in my voice could not be mistaken.

"Your parents wouldn't like it if they saw you performing right? So my grandfather, who is an optician is willing to make this perfect for you."

"But-"

"This is just part of your makeover. We wouldn't want your parents recognizing you." Liam cut in.

"But I can't just take these! Let me pay you at least. And wait, a makeover?"

"Don't worry about it, they barely cost anything. Yes, we'll have to change your appearance before performances to make this work."

I looked at them. Every single one of the band, ready to do whatever was required to make me one of them. I felt teary-eyed. New York was finally starting to feel like home, and the band part of my life.

There was no going back now.

And just when I thought things were starting to look up, my phone vibrated as it received a new message. My stomach dropped as I read the message.

It said - Come home early. We're having dinner with Nathan and his family.

-------------

Nathan fans, the next chapter will surely interest you.

Want it up faster?

Motivate me with comments giving me a reason to write. ^_^ (I lack inspiration these days. Probably cuz I'm reading Insurgent right now.)

Bye for now!