NaoMight - Friend?

10 year old Toshinori sighed as he swung idly on the swing set. He watched as the other children played with each other, using their quirks to add more fun to their game.

He wanted to be there too, playing and laughing and smiling, but he couldn't.

No one wanted to play with some ugly quirkless boy who couldn't be fun like them.

"Hey, are you okay?" A voice asks from behind him.

Toshinori looks up to see a raven haired boy, about the same age as him, looking at Toshinori with worry.

The blond gives a fake smile he hopes is believable and nodded his head. "I'm perfectly fine, thanks for asking though." He says.

The other boy's eyebrows furrow and he frowns. "You're lying."

Toshinori is taken aback for a few seconds, shocked that the other boy knew that, but it quickly wore off. People could turn into glow sticks now. Having a lie detector quirk shouldn't be as surprising.

"So what if I am?" Toshinori asks, bitterness seeping into his tone. Of course this boy was going to make fun of him, now that he knew how pathetic Toshinori was. They all did.

"Then that means I have to make you feel better!" The ravenet exclaims, sitting on the swing seat beside Toshinori.

"You know I'm quirkless, right?" Toshinori asks, giving the boy a chance to leave him alone.

The other male raises an eyebrow. "And so?" He questions back in retaliation.

Toshinori just sighs again and shrugs. "I don't know. Not many people want to be friends with an ugly quirkless loser like me."

"Again, you're lying."

"No I'm not."

"Yes you are."

"No I'm not."

"Yes you are."

"No. I'm. Not!" Toshinori says, with a tone of finality in his voice.

"Yes. You. Are!" The other boy shoots back. "You're not ugly and you're not a loser either. Stop being so negative! Do you know how long it took me to get the courage to talk to you?"

"Wha?" Toshinori asks, surprised.

The dark haired boy sighs. "I've been watching you for a while now. Each day you always seem so sad. At first I didn't want to intrude, because it seemed like you needed to be alone, but after a while it seemed like you needed a friend. Y'know, I was scared to talk to you. I thought, 'Hey, if I talk to him, no one would want to play with me either.' But later, I realized that it doesn't matter. You needed someone to be there for you, and it would be wrong for me to just let you continue suffering."

"I don't even know your name." Toshinori points out, swinging again, just for something to do.

The boy perks up. "Ah! I forgot about that." He holds his hand out. "The name's Tsukauchi Naomasa."

Toshinori looks at Tsukauchi's hand and back to his smiling face.

"Yagi Toshinori."

WORDS - 485