Chapter 9: The Woods

We are halfway through the hike when the first kid taps out. He's from Charlotte's group. A couple more decide to head back too.

"I'll go with her and the kids." Dax says.

"Okay. We will be back in an hour or two. Hopefully the rest can last. It's not that far." I say to the two.

"Sounds good. We will probably take them to the beach or something. See you guys later." Dax informs us and heads off back to camp.

We wave goodbye and continue on our way. Every year we take the Seedlings on this hike. It's pretty straightforward with barely any hills. It takes about three hours total - usually enough to tire them out.

"How much farther?" Charlie's high voice asks.

"Not that far, I promise." I ruffle the kids hair.

What shampoo did he use? His hair was so soft. I'd have to ask his mom.

Charlie's nods and runs ahead back with his friends. Archer and Evie were leading the group at the head which left Ace and I in the back.

Yay me.

Totally the person I wanted to walk with.

"How are you today?" Ace asks after a while.

I hadn't run into him this morning and I avoided talking with him during breakfast. I was back to disliking Ace Beckett and to be completely honest, I didn't know when I started to like him in the first place.

"Good." I answer, shortly.

"Good to hear." Ace gives me a smile and it takes everything in me not to smile back.

Damn him.

"Yup." I try to avoid the conversation by being boring.

Spoiler alert. It still happens. Ace likes to hear himself talk.

"I was thinking that when we get back, I'm going to take my cabin to the beach. Maybe start teaching them some beach volleyball." Ace says to my shoulder. I hadn't looked at him.

I don't take the bait. I just nod and continue walking. I scan the area around us, looking anywhere but him.

"Maybe you could join us. Dax and Archer were telling me you are pretty good at it. Not as good as me obviously." Ace teases.

I can tell he is trying to get me to talk. I just wasn't in the mood. My sleep had been plagued with dreams last night. Not good ones either.

Ever since I saw Malik in my dad's office, memories kept coming back. Ones that I had tried to forget. I've pushed them down for so long, attempting to pretend that night never happened.

Ace's voice interrupts my thoughts. I almost thank him for the distraction.

"Okay... I can see you are ignoring me but I'm not gonna stop talking until you respond to me. Trust me, Tuffs, I can talk for a long time." Ace winks.

"I'm not ignoring you." I grumble under my breath.

"Oh, I think you are. You have barely said two words to me today." He answers.

"I'm not."

"Are too."

"I'm just not in the mood, okay?" I struggle to keep my voice down.

I'm truly not mad at the guy, but damn, he's irritating.

"Hey, look at me, Tuffs." Ace says gently.