Chapter 37 : An Accident

The rain stops after the movie ends. I haven't seen Ace since then. I skip supper at the Dam, too - my appetite not there. I just simply walk to my cabin and pull the covers over my head.

Footsteps at the door alert me of someone's presence. I peek out of the covers and find Ace standing at the door. I groan and sit up.

"I'm not ready to talk to you. Please leave." I say, pointing to the door.

"Okay." He says, still standing at the door.

"Ace?"

"Yeah?"

"Leave, please."

"Okay."

He doesn't move.

"Beckett, I swear to God if you don't leave right now-" I shout, the anger and hurt from earlier resurfacing.

Sure, he apologized. But I wasn't ready to hear it. Sometimes a girl needs time to be angry. It's natural. Especially when her boyfriend is being an ass.

"Ooooookay!" A voice pipes up from behind Ace.

Aria pops into sight, lightly shoving her brother out of the way. Ace takes a step out.

Aria turns to him and points outside, "Time to go, big bro." He crosses his arms.

"Aria, this is between us, no need to get involved." Ace argues from further outside.

"Doesn't matter. She asked you to leave. Bye bye." Aria slams the door in his face. She turns to me, leaning her back against the door. Bumping her head against the wood, she groans "Ugh. Men."

I laugh then scoot over, creating a place on my bed for her. She chuckles then limps over to me.

A pang of sympathy rushes through me as I take in her scarred leg. I make a point not to stare.

"It's okay, you know. To look." Aria catches my eyes before I pull them away.

My face heats up, I stutter, "I- sorry. I didn't mean to stare."

"No, no. It's fine. I'm used to it. I've accepted it." She grins, sitting beside me. "Besides, they look pretty badass, eh?" Aria playfully shoves my shoulder.

"Totally badass." I agree, smiling.

We go quiet for a minute.

"Wanna talk about my bitch of a brother?" Aria asks.

"Nah. I'm good. I'll talk to him later." I say, "Thanks for sending him away though."

"Oh of course, that's what I'm here for." She giggles.

I can't believe how much this girl laughs. It's constant. I don't think if I was ever in her situation, I could get through it as easily as she is making it look.

She opens her mouth to say something, her brows drawn close. Then she pauses, and then decides to say, "Thanks for being there for Ace. I know he can be difficult. He's been hurt a lot, but I haven't seen him this happy in a long time."

"Well, I'm glad. I enjoy being around him-" I pause then add, "-when he's not ignoring me or being an asshole."

"Amen to that!" Aria sighs then places her head on my shoulder.

It makes me so happy she feels comfortable enough around me to sit beside me, to lay her head on my shoulder. I always considered myself a friendly person but it's been a while since I've had to "impress" someone new.

I'm glad it's going well so far.

"I'm assuming you don't know what day it is." Aria says after a moment.