Chapter 15: Party Wilderman

We arrive at the party and I already want to leave. People are everywhere. Some I know, some I've seen, and some I have clue who they are.

Music blasts from a hidden speaker and kegs are set up around the clearing. A fire roars in the centre. Nothing had changed since last time.

I shiver at the thought.

The six of us huddle together as we walk into the clearing. We stick as one while we move into the crowd. Sweaty bodies push against mine and the tangy smell of alcohol fills my nose.

"You okay, Auto?" Evie whisper-yells in my ear.

I nod quickly. I would be okay. Everything would be fine.

I hadn't seen Malik or any others from Camp Wilderman. That was a good sign.

I look behind me to where Ace is. His face is pale and worry creases his brow.

"You good?" I touch his arm, getting his attention.

His gaze snaps to mine. I look at him confused. Why was he acting so jumpy?

"Oh yeah. I'm fine." Ace gives me a fake smile. "You?"

"Yeah."

I turn back in the direction we are walking. Archer and Dax are in front of me, leading the way. They push their way through the crowd, making way for us.

I guess their height could come in handy sometimes.

We find a "quieter" spot on the edge of the clearing.

"Their parties have gotten bigger." Dax says with wide eyes.

"No shit. This is insane." Archer agrees.

"You guys can go mingle, I'm fine here." I insist, knowing full well what their answer would be.

"Hell no."

Called it.

"Okay so what are we going to do?" I ask.

"Hang out. Dance. Drink." Charlotte wiggles her eye brows.

"Oh hell yeah. Let's go." Archer smiles and takes Charlotte's hand, dragging her to the keg closest to us.

"You want one?" Dax asks me.

I shake my head along with Evie and Ace.

"Suit yourselves." He grins and joins the others at the keg.

"You don't drink?" I ask Ace.

I have to say, I'm surprised by his refusal of a drink. Not that I thought he was an alcoholic or something but I just thought he would drink at parties.

"Not tonight." Ace says.

What the hell does that mean? I don't push it because next thing you know he'll be asking me  the same question and I'm so not going to answer that.

His voice is lower than usual. It sounds scratchy. Ace's eyes keep darting around.

The others come back before I can say anything else. They each have a red solo cup filled with whatever the fuck was in the keg.