Chapter 22 : Hand-Eye Coordination

The crowd that has come to watch the Spikeball tournament is way bigger than I expected. Yes, we had put posters up around town but I didn't think people would actually show up. I recognize parents, former campers, and familiar faces from town - including Mary the waitress from the diner who gives us a large smile when she walks by.

Us Counsellors had set up the multiple nets around the beach. During the week we had made teams - the Saplings had helped with that. Mickey and the rest of the kitchen staff had also made baked goods and popsicles to sell. We had food stands set up around the clearing.

The plan for the day was that the Saplings would play their games then the Counsellors will take the field. Needless to say, Beaver Falls was hyped up.

"Everyone ready?" Archer's voice rings around the clearing.

He always makes the announcements - after all, he's the loudest.

The crowd, along with the Saplings, cheer loudly in response. Within seconds, the games have started.

"Who you got your money on?" Dax, my partner, leans over to ask me.

"I think Chase and Sarah are gonna take the dub." I point over to the pair playing near the edge.

"I'm saying Jack and Jake." Dax fumbles his words with a grin, the boys' names tricky to say together.

"You're on." I stick out my arm.

Dax's dark hand clasps mine and we shake on it. Archer races over seconds later.

"I want in." He grins.

"Me too." Ace walks up behind me and gives me a hug. I lean into him briefly.

"Count us in!" Charlotte and Evie race over too.

Soon enough all six of us have a bet going on who is going to win.

I cheer loudly when my team wins their first game. I feel a little sorry for the losing team but I get over it quickly. What can I say? I'm competitive.

After a few more games, the brackets keep moving. By noon we are at the semi finals. Funny enough, the four teams that are left are all ones that we had chosen. Evelyn's team is facing mine while Dax's faces my boyfriend's.

My boyfriend.

Whoa.

I could get used to saying that.

Everyone cheers loudly as the two semi final games go on. I pause my shouting for a second to look around. People of all ages are at camp, supporting us. They have food in their hands and smiles on their faces. I'm thrilled to know that they are enjoying themselves - even the kids who had lost their games.

The last couple points are made and the games finish. Ace's team - Johnny and Vanessa - and mine - Chase and Sarah - are playing in the finals.

"You're going down, Beckett." I grin.

"In your dreams, Tuffs." He smirks back.

We take our rightful places behind our teams. The funny part is; I don't think the kids know we are betting on them. We are great Counsellors... obviously.