Chapter 43 : Freedom

One year later

I'm walking out of the courtroom, my arms linked together with my parents.

We did it.

We won the case.

By some crazy miracle, we won.

Malik was charged as an adult and sentenced to three years in prison.

He's finally out of my life for good. I won't have to see him again for a long time. Long enough to forget about him.

Ace is waiting for me outside the building. When I see him, I let go of my parents arms and run into his. He picks me up and spins me around, places a kiss on my forehead.

My parents catch up to us and I smile. Bossman isn't even limping anymore. For a while after his cast got off, his leg would cause him some pain. But now? He's healed. There is nothing slowing him down anymore.

Sherry and Bradley - the two reasons we won the case - come up to us a few minutes later. I receive a hug from both of them then slip back under Ace's arm.

"Thank you." I say to them.

"You are such a strong young lady." Sherry says.

"We are so proud of you." My mom agrees.

I hear a shout from behind us, turn around, and see four people running up to me. Within seconds I'm taken out of Ace's arms and engulfed in four other pairs. Evie, Charlotte, Dax, and Archer squeeze me tightly.

"Get in here, Beckett." Charlotte grabs Ace's arm and tugs him into the group hug.

"Hell yeah. Good job, Auto." Archer says, my forehead against his chest.

"Ice cream?" I suggest.

Shouts of approval follow my words. I laugh, tears of joy threatening to make an appearance. I push them back, not wanting to ruin the moment.

The parents agree to our plan and we all start walking towards our cars. Halfway to our cars, we are interrupted.

Steven Davis stands in front of us. His usually sharp appearance is ruffled and uneven. One side of his collar is flipped up, his tie is loosened, his hair is disheveled as if he we trying to pull it out. I look at him warily and my friends and family come to my back.

Steven had a lot of trouble this year with his camp. Word got around about Malik and me, as well as the cabin fires. Wilderman's reputation started going down, families started to leave. The Davis' lost over half of their regular income. I'm pretty sure they will be out of business by the end of next summer. And I got to say, I'm not too upset about it.

"Autumn, may I speak with you for a moment?" He asks, his voice shaking slightly.

I've never seen Steven like this. He is always cool, calm, and composed. Never like this.

"No, you may not." Bossman answers for me.

I look in between the two men, physically feeling the tension between the two.

"Please," Steven pleads, "I'm here to apologize, nothing more, nothing less."

This makes our group go quiet. Sherry and Bradley shake their head but tug Ace away. My boyfriend protests leaving my side but doesn't argue with his parents. My friends step away, leaving my parents and I to face Steven.

"Fine. Let's hear it then get out of our face." Bossman replies when the others leave us.

Steven nods his head, exhales, then gets up enough courage to look me in the eye when he says, "I'm truly sorry, Autumn. I never knew how... terrible my son was treating people, treating you. I was blind to his actions. I apologize for not believing you, I apologize for fighting against you. I realize my mistakes now.  I don't expect you to forgive me - or my son - but I do want you to know that I am sorry. And I wish you well."