Chapter 42 : Good Bye, Good Luck

Today is the day. 

The last day, that is. 

Bittersweet as always. 

The cabins were completed last week by the amazing construction workers Ace's parents hired. We will have to buy new beds and dressers for the new cabins in the spring but that is a problem for another time. 

Steven Davis hasn't spoken to us since we left the letter on his desk. The sexual abuse case Sherry and Bradley built for me against Malik is going through in court and we finally have a date set. The arson lawsuit is in progress as well. So it's safe to say I've been keeping in touch with the Beckett family. 

Right now, we are locking up the showers and bathrooms for the winter. We've just finished taking the better half of our morning cleaning them so we'll be glad when they are fully dealt with. 

"How long does this usually take, Tuffs?" Ace asks, crouched by the water pipes. 

"Not too much longer, newbie." I tease lightly. 

"Hardy. Har. I thought we stopped calling me that." 

"Eh. It comes and goes. Old habits die hard, I guess." I snicker. 

Ace finally finishes with the water pipes but I slap his ass before he stands up. 

He looks at me, challenging me to try it again. I grin, and go for his ass again. I let out a yelp when he grabs my wrist. He manhandles me, bending me over. He gets his revenge and slaps my ass. 

"You like that, Tuffs?" Ace chuckles. 

"In your dreams, cowboy." I bite back and wrestle back some of my advantage. 

I tackle him to the ground, taking out his knees. He lets out a humph when he hits the ground but holds onto me tight. I'm stuck. He has trapped me. 

I struggle against his grip, his fingers tickling me in the process. 

"Ouch! No! That's - not - fair! Ace!" Painful laughter escapes me the more he pokes. 

"Who won, Tuffs? Who won?" He chuckles into my ear as I squirm on top of him. 

"Me!" I scream as he tickles me even more. "Fine! You! You won." I admit to defeat until he lets go. 

Then I sit back on top of him, straddling his waist. "I changed my mind. I won." I say. 

Ace reaches for me again but I hop up out of his grasp. I looks down and grin, "Someone's happy." I point out. 

Ace blushes and sits up, hiding the crotch of his shorts that was a little bulgier than usual. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. Boner alert. 

Men are too easy. 

I laugh evilly, then run away, waiting for him to chase me down. When he doesn't, I turn around confused. 

I walk back around the corner and directly into an ambush. Ace tackles me to the ground, albeit a lot gentler than I did. He pins my arms above my head and my legs in between his. He's breathing heavy, his breath tickling my face. I grin and his dimples answer. 

"Who won?" He asks.

"Me, obviously." 

"You sure?"

"Oh yeah. 100%" I snicker from underneath him. 

"Okay. I'll let you believe it... on one condition."

"Yes?" 

"Kiss me." 

"Fair trade in my opinion." I agree, leaning up to meet him halfway.