Chapter 20: Puzzle Pieces

In a short moment, I realized exactly what I was doing. I pressed the palms of my hands on Jason's chest and pushed him away.

"No, Jason," I began, "this can't happen." "Why not?" he countered, his eyes full of hurt. I sighed, turned away from him, and snapped, "You known damn well why."

"I know, Ana," he said, taking my hand. I glanced down at my hand in his and yanked it away. "What I'm asking is why can't you move on and forget about him?" he told me, finally getting the hint and placing his hands in his lap.

"Because," I began, taking a steady breath, "the only way I'll forget him is if I suffer the same fate as him."

I'll never be able to forget Kane. The way his soft, caring, chocolate brown eyes light up when he laughs, the way his tongue peeks out from between his perfect, white teeth when he smiles, the way he flips his hair out of his eyes, the feeling of safety I had when his arms were wrapped around me, and more, were reasons I would never forget him.

Also the fact that I was deeply in love with him.

I looked up to see Jason's heartbroken expression. I knew the pain he felt inside, oh, I knew it all too well. I had promised myself to never inflict such pain like Jackson did to me. I broke it at that moment.

Then, I stated right into Jason's pain filled orbs and told him, "I'm sorry, Jason, you're an amazing friend. I think we should leave it at that."

"But-" he began, but I shook my head.

"I know I just broke your heart, and that was something I vowed never to do, but one day, a person will come along. She will pick up all the broken pieces and fit them together like a puzzle. They will fit so perfectly it will be as if they were never broken."

"That is the person you should love. Love the person who put you together, not the person who caused you to fall apart in the first place."