Chapter 2: Oblivious

The ringtone "She Looks So Perfect" by 5 Seconds of Summer, my favorite band, rang through the air. I groaned as I dug into my pocket for my phone.

"Hello?" I answered sleepily.

"Ana? Where are you? Nate and I are waiting at your house for you and Kane!" my best friend, Sabrina, yelled through the phone. Now fully awake, I told her, "We're on our way."

I put my phone back in my pocket and sighed. "Kane, wake up," I said. Nothing happened.

Snickers was about to lick his face when I stopped him. "Wait, I have an idea," I told the pup as I smirked. I cupped cold, pond water in my hand, rushed over to Kane, and splashed it in his face.

He shot up and gave me a death glare. "Ana Hamilton, you are in so much trouble," he said, taking a step towards me with every word. I gulped as I searched around for a way to escape. My heel hit a rock and I almost tumbled into the pond.

A smirk spread across Kane's smug face. Oh no. My eyes widened as I realized what his plan was.

"Kane, please, no," I begged. "Sorry, sweetheart," he said sweetly as he shoved my shoulders. The cold water engulfed me and all the fish swam to the corners of the pond.

My head broke the surface as I sputtered, "Kane, help me. I hurt my toe at the bottom."

His smirk turned into a frown as he grasped my outstretched hand. I yanked his hand as hard as I could and he tumbled into the water.

A hand on my ankle yanked me underwater and I faced Kane. He pecked my lips and brought us to the surface. "We gotta head to my house. Nate and Sabrina are waiting," I told him as we hoisted ourselves out.

"You should have told me earlier," he said as he handed me my board. I laughed as I pushed off the ground waving goodbye to Snickers.
* * *
Kane and I walked up my driveway to my house and saw Nate had Sabrina pushed against the door as they were making out.

"Oi, lovebirds!" I shouted. "Do you want me to open the door or what?" They pulled away and Sabrina was blushing madly and looking at her feet. Nate cleared his throat awkwardly to break the silence and I opened the door.

Sabrina and Nate stepped inside while Kane and I stayed outside. "Can you get us towels?" I asked Sabrina.

"Sure. By the way, why are you guys soaked?" I laughed and answered, "Long story." She nodded her head as she headed inside.

I began to take my socks and shoes off and put them in the sun to dry. Kane did the same and set his hat along with his shoes.

I took off my jacket and wrung out as much water as I could. I glanced up as I felt eyes on me. Kane was staring at me, and he wasn't staring at my eyes. I looked down and realized my white shirt was see through and tight.

I whacked him with my jacket and muttered, "Perv."

He flashed me a smile and winked. I crossed my arms over my chest and rolled my eyes. What is taking Sabrina so long?

I then was greeted by the sight of Kane shirtless and wringing out his shirt. I couldn't help but stare at his toned chest and his six pack.

"Like what you see, Pretty Brown Eyes?" Kane asked cockily and winked. I scoffed loudly and rolled my eyes.

Sabrina finally walked out and tossed us towels. "About time!" I exclaimed. She gave me a glare and strutted inside with us following.

We stepped into my living room and, thankfully, my floors were heated. Sabrina and Nate kicked their shoes off, plopped onto my black leather couch, and sank their toes into the fake fur rug.

Meanwhile, Kane and I scaled the dark wood stairs up to my bedroom. We burst through the door and I immediately grabbed some sweats for myself and an extra set of clothes Kane always left here for situations like this.

I stepped onto the tiles in my bathroom and shut the door behind me. I stripped off my freezing cold and tight clothes and sighed gleefully as I slipped into my warm sweats. I then walked out of the bathroom to be greeted with an even warmer hug.

The two of us headed downstairs and plopped onto one of the couches. Nate was flipping through the channels on the TV with his arm slung around Sabrina's shoulders. All of us said nothing and enjoyed the silence. I snuggled into Kane's chest and stared at the flickering television.

The silence was broken by a "Heartbreak Girl" by 5 Seconds of Summer ringtone. I looked at Kane since 5SOS was both of our favorite band. He pulled his phone out of his picked and pressed the green button.

"Hello?" he answered. "Really? It's already one? Okay. I'm on my way. Bye. Love you, too." He pecked my cheek, stood up, and left. "I guess I'm leaving too. Bye," Nate told us as he walked out the door.

Since Sabrina was sleeping over, we dragged our lazy bodies upstairs and flopped onto my bed. We were both crashed out thinking today was a good day.

We were oblivious to the terrible events that were soon to follow.