Chapter 1: Motherless

A newcomer comes to life, offering nothing but a pure soul. While the death looked from afar, sheathing its teeth. Like a cunning devil watching from afar. He wanted to snatch the newcomer before her soul has a chance to reach the realm of the living.

The Life, however, was strong, it prevailed and helped the soul cross to the world of the mankind without harm, but the death was stubborn and jealous. Another soul escaped his grasp once more.

He was furious, angry and envied those have the right to live. He refused to back down, not without an offering for his own. He kept watching from afar...waiting for an opportunity.

He then saw that unlucky soul. A tired, lost and withered one. One that life took her blessing away from. He snatched that soul like the thief he is.  Finally sated, he retreated to the shadows once more.

 One night, noisy cries filled a certain bedroom. The newcomer had arrived, and so did its journey began through pregnancy.

Nurses were on full alert, preparing the blankets as one of them hastily carried the source of the noise with warm and caring hands. The naked body of the baby was rolled neatly with some soft white cloth, wiping it out of any excessive particles of her shivered body.

A newborn baby...

Such a small beautiful creature with a pure core and essence, taken from her mother's safe body straight to the hard cruel world, with nothing special or yet to be discovered.

The nurse took a good look at the child's crying face, giving her a small kind kiss on the forehead, and shaking her gently.

It was a natural reaction to any sane woman and mother. it is to feel the mothership blooming on the surface even if the baby is not part of her family, such is the human natural instinct.

Some sights couldn't be explained in words, which were the same that the nurse experienced. It was the marvellous part of her job, like a prize for her effort. To see the fruition of 9 months of caring and praying coming steadily to face the brave new world. Like a dashing warrior emerging from a mysterious fog.

She stared at the mum. Her mouth was drawn to a straight line. She couldn't speak a single word as the nurse put her child next to her on the bed. She turned around to fulfil the last part of her duty. To deliver the amazing news of another successful pregnancy during her eventful and stressful job.

Outside the room, a man jumped in haste as soon as he saw the nurse coming, looking at her with high eyes. He already heard his child's cries. But he wished to hear the nurse say the announcement herself...

"Please, tell me I became a father of a boy!" The man appealed to the nurse.

She bit her lips, trying to hide the other face of the truth. "I-I think you need to see everything for yourself, your newborn awaits you inside, Protector". She faked a smile.

Her way of speaking was strange. It wasn't the same one the father expected to have. Instead of happiness, she had the opposite. Instead of joy, she was so close to dip tears if not for her strong will.

The father's eyes stared in suspicious gaze. That response wouldn't have come out unless a crisis struck. The nurse didn't even try to stop the raging and terrified man from dashing straight to the room.

And how should he not feel that way? He had been waiting 5 years for this day to come. What nuisance would pollute such once-in-a-lifetime happiness?

He ran towards the room hoping that the nurse was either bluffing or he was imagining things. The sound of his child got louder in his ears but not louder than his racing heartbeats.

A Tale of Two DaggersOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara