Chapter 27: A Ghost of a man

She grinned, slowly regaining consciousness. Her eyes blinked multiple times. As She slowly scanned the room with her eyes, she realized that someone  carried her to the infirmary again.

While she was scanning the room. she titled her head to her right. Her eye widened.

Everything became quite clear.

She won't ever forget the unexpected person with his head resting on his arm, sleeping next to her waist.

A man who sleep after a victory when Death failed to collect his life.

"Uncle Alfred ! " the girl was confused "How did...". then she paused herself. Her memory came back to her.

She remembered that messenger who described the second allied army advancing from outside the castle. he mentioned that a one-arm man was leading the charge. her uncle was the leader of those men.

She looked with cute eyes as she touched his black hair head. patting it.

Her thoughts spoke for her. Even after that firing discussion she had with him, he still came for her. Risking his own soul in the process but Alas, liberating the land from those scums for good. She smiled warmly with her small lips.

Afterward, she checked her belly. It was perfectly bandaged, whoever found her did a great first aid procedure. Her nose was in Stable condition.

The broken nose was still hurting her. Though, the pain is equal to null compared to her belly wound. As The bandages was soaked fully red. she wondered how she would eat now with that injured stomach.

YET Another question was teasing her mind. what happened after she passed out? She couldn't hear any battle voices outside, which meant that the battle was long over.

"I need to know what happened"

She tried to slowly squeeze herself to get up from that bed. but with a fresh wound deeply like this. A spiking pain was no surprise to Diana. But She had to endure. There wasn't much choice anyway.

Her shaking feet touched the ground floor. Barely supporting herself. She wanted to sneak away but the floor squeaked caused Diana to froze, she looked at her uncle figure behind her. He was still sleeping.

She breathed relief and smiled. slShe took another tiptoe steps towards the door before she heard another voice.

"You know, you really suck at sneaking," her awakened uncle said after, lifting his head over his head.

The girl's eyes squeezed in embarrassment. her mouth turns into a childish smile. Thinking about it. Not a single time she tried to Solely sneak out of a place and succeeded. Every time she was busted.

"Guess I inherited the heavy foot of my father" she said sheepishly with a hand behind her head. Deep down she was afraid to turn around and meet her rescuer's gaze.

"Look at me," he said sharply as he stood up to face her. With her heart racing, She dared to turn around to meet her uncle's face. She knew she had to listen to some serious talking especially since their last talk wasn't exactly the 'familiar' one. She still had the sensation of that slap on her face since that day marking her cheek.

After his barbaric reaction. She can't raise a speck of objection towards him. First because her face won't endure another hit and second, she got to give him the credit for saving her...

"What were you thinking when you decided to travel here?" His serious gaze returned.

"Both of us know the answer, it's your brother, at least one of us should think of him, don't you agree?". She challenged once again.