Chapter 40: Vivian

Diana speaks.

We finally crossed the borders. And If by any chance, you are worried about my condition. I am completely fine. My body fully recovered; my Mentality is still recuperating though. Lady Aurora did a great job fixing me.

After the battle, General Joseph awarded my future husband a 100 golden coins for his effort in the war. He told me it was the normal salary for any Backstabber that took part in that battlefield. The man also walked with us an extra mile. And sent some men with us till we crossed safely to the other side, and that was the last time we saw Joseph and Aurora.

For me, to think of my prince and how he went through whatever that battle was. Just to get to me, to set me free.

Each time I look at his sad face. I see his head bowing to the ground. Like a defeated warrior despite his triumph. He didn't speak about it. But I know he is still angry with himself. And that was it! I always felt safe around him no matter what, my love to him was never changed one bit from its place. I loved him even more when he came to save me, it proved to me what am I to him.

"Hon, easy on the animal", I patted my fingers on his tensed back. We were on a horse that was moving full speed towards Endora. The fastest way towards home.

"Oh, right" He pulled the reins, and the horse speed was lowered to jogging. We were traveling on a flat road in an open area.

"You ok, you seem...Bothered."

"About your father...". He tilted his head towards me.

"My dad?". I looked at him with a queried face.

"Yep. Your absence made me wonder what effect a year and a half must have had an on him. If I couldn't handle 4 days. Then It made me marvel how he was holding up during all those months"

"I just hope I am not too late to save him from his tormented self". I said, knowing my father very well.

"I doubt it..."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "What makes you say that?"

Louis halted the horse, as his voice became more serious and grimmer.

"A year and a half are a very long period, my love. That man could have...Changed. Didn't you tell me you are the last one left of his family Known alive? Try to understand, to comprehend what did he felt when the final part of the family got...ripped away from him"

I couldn't find a response to his words. My Louis got it right. A broken man is like a cracked Jar. It will keep leaking its content till there is nothing left and that's when the soul begins the successions of its own self-destruction. If this process had already begun months ago, then...

"Let's just hurry". I said clicking my tongue.

"Now look who's Bothered now". He smiled with a Chicky face.

The horse yelled and we were on the run again. And after 2 Mornings and nights. We finally reached it in the late morning of the third day.

*****

Endora

My home

The city that suffered the most

When we reached the town, I gasped at that sight and I was left speechless.

From a far, I spotted them sleeping eternally under the numerous symbolic crosses.