Chapter 16: Aftermath

Her consciousness was dormant. Nothing was real to her. The reality turned into a sick joke with no end to it. Fate was mocking her faulty decisions from the very start. Playing with her like a toy in a dollhouse. Leaving only the sour memories of the once-called...

Her friends.

Her Town.

Her Queen...And most of all...

Her Dad

"Come on, dear. Don't do this to me. Don't leave me with that pioneer. COME ON! Wake up!" Louis shook her body in an attempt to break her from that coma.

But she wasn't responding. The shock was too powerful to process and very dark to find condolences to it.

He spent half an hour with her. Seeing his soulmate like this led him to feel the shady side of loneliness. So lost in his path. His journey could have ended right there, with her not opening her eyes once again.

Why they should embrace whatever fate throw at them? What did she do to deserve such mad punishment, to witness her beloved people vanquished and unburied? To see them left perished for a reason that they shall never know?

There wasn't any answer.

Yet...

Among that endless sheet of this abyss. One ray of light emerged. A small. Pitful cries for hope that only the faithful and the closest could hear.

It was the necklace...

She shone with white faint ray, barely noticable to Louis but its effect was highly needed though the madness she fell into.

Death noticed from the depth. A glowing hand grabbing the sinking girl, snatching the Death's prey right in front of his wicked eyes  back to the realm of the non-dead. With nefarious breaths full of disappointment coming from Death, he retreated away empty handed once again.

Slowly and weakly. She opened her cloudy eyes. They had the color of roses, flooding like waterfalls.

"Louis...", she said faintly.

"I am here! I am right here!". He rejoiced, he couldn't hide his sighed reliefs.

He kneeled his head towards her. Half of her body was on the ground and the other half was rested, slightly placed safely over Louis's arms.

For instance, she thought that her town only burned in the fictional world of dreams and at any moment, she will wake up. Surrounded by all who she cared for. Afraid for her, yes. But alive.

However, Fate had already dropped his blow. And after some seconds. The dagger of truth struck again at her.

She exploded.

The boy brought her close to his chest. It was his turn to take her into safety just like when she did the same thing days ago. So that only he could find a way to ease her torment.

Her hot tears came down her cheeks along with her trembling body that was hugged by Louis's arms.

That hug wasn't a solution. It was just a trial of consolation.

"I lost him, Louis. I lost him again! All was in vain. Why couldn't I see it from the start?! Wain put the bounty on your head, specifically. Because he had already destroyed me!!!"