Chapter 20 : The Tyrannies of Ontoga

Diana's Arc

It was both beautiful and terrifying how the woods were so peaceful in the night. The path paved to the castle that Diana planned to cross was through a forest where the road was lined between two walls of trees from both sides.

Accordingly, she planned to have a stop at a small village called Ontoga. She wanted to spend her last spare money to resupply with some food for both her and the horse. she estimated that the journey -if it passed safely without incident, would take roughly a day and a half day to the castle. She guessed that she could reach at noon of the next day where she would plan the next move.

The quietness was still dominant in the forest. The forest habitants were sleeping and Diana was the intruder in their territory. Nothing was making any sound except for the legs of the horse that was walking peacefully and steadily, carrying the tired Diana over it.

"WOOOT-WOOOT" a new creepy voice entered Diana's ears.

"Great, at least I have some company with an owl" said the girl to entertain herself through the quiet boring road. 

At dawn, and after a long time in the forest, she finally reached Ontoga or what was left of it...

When the girl entered the Town, she found out that the people there were in great poverty, the former small town was transformed into numerous simple huts and some half-destroyed houses that people somehow managed to live inside it. The rest of the houses in the Town was just a pile of stones and broken wood.

The people themselves were thin and you could see their bones lining under their skin. Half of the population was homeless, they were sleeping on the streets on cold days. When she asks the locals, she finds out another dark secret about the inhabitants (slavers) of the Red Castle.

  This Town was always originally bullied by the commander of the castle and his men; Every week or so, some of those "tyrannies" -that's what the locals called them- come alongside with a big cargo pulled by two Dark black horses to collect a big tribute so they don't capture the men or cause even more darker fate to the women and their children.

When she inquired more about why the men of the Town were resisting this bullying, and she found out an even more dark and twisted past.

A year ago, the 5 protectors of the Town along with their 10 men for each protector DID stand with bravery to 10 of the "tyrannies" who came to the Town with threats and demands to collect a newly introduced tribute immediately back then in exchange for fake titles like protection and safety. Either that or the Town face the fury of the castle.

 Both sides began to throw words and curses at each other. When the diplomacy talks didn't reach anywhere, their weapons were properly introduced....

The result of the fierce contest was 2 injured men from Ontoga and the death of all of the 10 soldiers of the castle. The Town after that victorious day faced horrible consequences the day after.

The next day, the castle sent all of its soldiers to the Town. this time they came to fulfil their threats; they stormed Ontoga and killed anyone who dared to resist them. All of the protectors were captured but not before they witnessed their own men killed in front of them. the fate of the chef of Ontoga was even more terrifying.

He was forced to witness his 10-year-old daughter dying being raped by three strong men till she fell lifelessly at the foot of the third one.

The agony continued, The mourning women were either raped in front of their families or forced to be called widows for the rest of their coming miserable life, whatever the tyrannies deciede.

Finally, the Town surrendered and the soldiers left destruction and desperation behind as an example to all cities around...

Do not cross the Red Castle.

The girl's confidence dropped to the ground; now she could truly see who she was dealing with. Now, she sees what awaits her if she fails, her death will be mercy in comparison to the rest of the madness she will face.

But no matter the cost. She was still going to rescue her father. One way or another. Only the approach was critical...

The girl took her horse and equipment and left the town with some footsteps. She set up a small camp in front of the crumbled wooden gate where she rested under a tree to eat some ration of the remaining food before deciding to have a nap...

Suddenly, and during her nap under the tree. She felt the ground shaking beneath her head. Was that an unanticipated earthquake?!

The girl was awakened by the sounds of some horses stomping on the ground carrying men dressed in armoured iron pieces from head to toe and guess what...

They were escorting a cargo covered by thick piece of cloth and dragged by two dark horses.

At the sight of them, Diana's heart raced as she ran deeper to the forest where only she can still see them. There were about 20 of them including the 2 driving the cargo and the horses. Luckily, her fast reaction prevented the slavers from spotting her.

The leader of the men entered or rather kicked through the wooden gate which fell under his armoured boot; showing no respect or privacy at all, Only brute force...

While she was watching the intruders committing another of their daily crimes. It came to Diana, an easy way to the castle through the front gate!

She wanted to somehow reach that covered cargo. She thought that no one would expect a girl to jump in it. She just needed to wait for the right moment.

However, with that number of soldiers out there, it would be Deathwish as Louis previously quoted.

Another thing. She didn't trust the citizens; because after all this cargo contained a hard-earned tribute. So she didn't know how they would react to her actions.

She kept thinking and searching for an opportunity then she had another cunning idea.

She thought of a large fire blocking the road that was big enough to force the guards to leave both their caution and the cargo behind.

While the guards were busy putting down the fire, she could jump to the cargo.

For that to happen. The soldiers must leave the Town first before the plan works and she didn't have much time before the men finish collecting the tribute and move again.

The girl ran by the horse to a suitable distance away from the Town deep in the forest. She needed the horse in case the plan failed so she gave him the last of the horse food she had to keep him content.

The second step is implementation...

She went back and forth from and into the forest collecting every wood she could carry no matter how big it was so it might be used to block the road.

Now to light the decoy.

The girl was trying to make a spark with flint and a small rock. A technique that was taught by her uncle during the journey towards Tagia.

"At least you were useful somehow pioneer" smirked Diana to herself.

After a small spark ignited the wood, the girl managed to create a small fire. The last step was to wait for the fire to naturally spread through the wood, a process that could take longer than expected due to the absence of wind.

Alternatively, she could take a more drastic measure by encouraging the fire to spread, manipulating the wood with her arms and adding more if necessary. However, being seen on that open road could pose one way trip to a place worse than the hell.

Diana filled with adrenaline and outmost fear took her chances and kept adding fuel and spreading the fire until the flame level was equal to the height of  house.

Satisfied by her hard work and results, the girl rushed back to the forest. If things went south, she could at least follow the soldier with her horse and stick to the original blind plan...