Chapter 15: Bad omen

The next morning... When the first spark of light appeared in the sky.

"Diana...Diana, wake up. That's enough for a night's rest" Alfred kept poking her out of her dormant rest.

"W..wha...u... uncle...". Her eyes twitched with blurred vision while the words came out mixed with the saliva pouring awkwardly from her mouth. And her golden hair was turned into a chaotic forest.

"Come on, we need to move"

"WAAAH (she yawned) just give me another hour...ZZzzz"

"NOW!". His voice was louder than any alarm clock and sharper than any order he gave.

She tilted her head to give him a sad cat look. She has never been closer to begging for more sleep like now. But with the matter at hand, She forced herself to sit on the bed. Wiping both her eyes and mouth and trying to bring her lost and dizzy brain back to life.

When the memories of the day before soon hooked up, she was grateful for her uncle's presence to wake her up. The sooner they wake up before the sun rises, the quicker they leave the town before raising another unwanted attention.

Louis, on the other hand, happened to have the same bad morning scenario.

Liam, pushed by his fatherhood love, woke up his son out of the delicious comfort of sleep and briefly got him ready for the journey.

He didn't taste the sweetness of sleeping like how his son did. Thoughts haunted him all night that he may not see his son again once he leaves through his house's door.

But again, those perfect clear words of himself remained. Those of how the town could face dark times because of his son and his newly introduced girlfriend's presence were something to consider within the equation or even worse, the monetary value of the bounty could make any person among the town's citizens hunt him down. Especially the settlers of the poor's districts.

He couldn't bear that long night.

He made a small breakfast for his son who was this close to passing out of exhaustion.

His sister helped arrange a bag full of clothes with 2 of her brother's heavy clothes in case the weather turned amok. She packed his things with a depressed sigh. She didn't have much time to spend with her brother. She can't help wishing him to stay more with her.

In addition to the clothes, she gave him the cloak of his mother so that her soul could guide him where he wished. And also, to cover most of his face.

He was given a big ration of food. A refuelling of pocket money....and some last wisdom words...

"Son" his tone implied disciplined briefing but behind his voice, there was empathy and grief.

"Frankly, I don't know what to say more than we discussed last night. Just...be a man. You will be mostly on your own when you meet that protector. Be proud but at the same gentle. Stand tall and speak without concerns or low head when you meet him."

"Relax, old man. I am a charming type. I have my way around people, remember?"

Liam sunk his embarrassed face in his hand. "The only thing I will remember is when the man gets chocked by your clown figure attitude"