Chapter 6: The two daggers meet

It was true. The knocker on the door was Prince Louis.

Diana's heart bumped happily and nervously at the same time. However, she was very careful not to show that. Childish egregious wanton displays of affection were prohibited to be shown at the palace as it was a sign of a lack of professionalism.

She quickly checked her clothes, closing any buttons. She was meeting a prince, which meant she needed to keep herself tidy.

The door opened with a squeak. Revealing the boy Louis in the same outfit he had at the party.

"Good evening" He bowed with a smile.

"G-Good evening, sir" She smiled back.

"Diana, right?" He exclaimed innocently.

He probably knew my name from Lady Anna. She thought. "Correct, it is an honour to meet you in person, My...I mean...your Highness". She didn't begin the conversation yet, and her tongue was not behaving correctly.

He smiled. "The honour is mine, Diana"

Diana's red cheeks were too flourishing to hide it. She had some moments where her lips couldn't shift from smiling mode. She was so consumed by the handsome face of the boy to the instinct that she forgot to ask him why he was at her doorstep in the first place.

"SOo, back at the party..." he scratched his head as if it would help lessen the cringe. "I...I didn't particularly have a chance to thank you back at the party. You know for saving my sorry pitful life" He chuckled.

"I-It was my duty, sir. I didn't do anything moreover it" she smiled. Proud that her action was recognized. But part of her is pissed that she had to address a boy close to her age by the name "sir" and "your majesty". It just felt off. No matter. He was a member of the royal family and that means the nickname comes first. Addressing him directly could lead to non-desired consequences from the royal palace.

She snapped away when he began talking again."Of course, you did! You gave me a second chance to live. You need to be awarded!"

Diana's smile faded a bit "A-Awarded?"

"Yes! How about this? I know that the king doesn't allow any of the girls to leave the palace. So how about he make an exception for you? Would you accept my company on one of my hunt trips?"

Her smile faded completely. Replaced with a total surprise.

A trip with the prince himself!?

A way from the king and the palace!? Something different than noticing the same classical palace every time? And for once doing an action that she really wanted not ordered to obey?

Not even in her hallucination could she imagine that!

She could use such an offer, to see the outside world again. To feel free even for small moments. It would be like a taste of heaven in a life of hellish imprisonment.

However...she couldn't say yes.

Such a daydream had a drawback. She forgot she was just a maid, even if she served the queen. She still needed direct permission from the king himself. The same king that ordered her hanging if not for the unexpected intervention of Anna a year ago.

She hesitated, her mind insisted on accepting the offer. She earned it fairly. She wanted to feel appreciated again. Also, she could use some breathing from her hard job.

On top of that, she would love to spend some time with him. She hadn't met any boy her age for months. She would like a person who understands her quite right.

Someone like Louis...

Louis blinked, noticing her taking too long to respond.

"If you are worried about the king or my aunt (the queen), Leave them to me. I have my ways around them. but I still desire to hear your answer first before I convince them. Would you accept my offer?" said Louis as he raised his eyebrows.